TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
My 97 4.6 bird with is throwing the P0340 code for camshaft position sensor. I replaced the sensor and cleared the codes and the code returned in a few hours. I searched thru some of the old posts but didnt really find any clear answers.
Has anyone had similar issues and resolved it? Maybe a shorted wire on the connector? Any insight is appreciated.
Thanks!

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is most likely in the wiring or the connector itself. The circuit malfunction means that the PCM is receiving an intermittent signal from the sensor, and that's usually a wiring issue.
Yeah, I'm gonna check all that tonight. hopefully it'll be an easy fix.

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it a magnet on the cam gear that the camshaft postion sensor reads? Has anyone had trouble with that?

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced about 4 inches of the wiring coming from the connector that attaches to the actual sensor. I still am getting the CEL. IF anyone has any experience here let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I'm as stumped as he is, we took off the valve cover looked at it and everything seems fine, wired in a new pigtail, put on a new sensor, still cel... I dunno someone help.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Since there is a cam on each side maybe the other went out, I don't know.
theres only one sensor, it reads off of the drivers side head's cam wheel... we are inclined to thinking that due to 1XX,XXXmiles there could be enough stretch in the timing chains for it to still run ok without pvt, but enough to throw an error, since the factory cam gear tolerances weren't exactly spot on.

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only other things i can think of would be to replace all the wiring to the sensor, or possibly the PCM. And of course the car wont pass smog with the CEL on.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
The only other things i can think of would be to replace all the wiring to the sensor, or possibly the PCM. And of course the car wont pass smog with the CEL on.
did you get that leak all taken care of? or find out what that box is under the glovebox?

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
did you get that leak all taken care of? or find out what that box is under the glovebox?
Nope. Never fuigured out the box. Yes fixed the leak. The car is running quite nicely right now. Just this stupid CEL bugging me. I have your extra intake for you and your RTV.

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm resurrecting my own thread.

I finally fixed the CEL issue on my 97'. Turned out that the PCM was bad. I took the car to a mechanic and they troubleshot the issue and tested all the wiring. The wiring was good, as was the camshaft position sensor. I replaced the PCM and the car runs great, passed smog and no more annoying CEL.

Figuerd I'd post the fix in case anyone has the same issue.

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've had the same proble for about a year or so now. It throw a code, then go away after a week or so. I've replaced the wiring, to no avail. I just live with it...
Well I bought a used computer from the junkard for 30 bucks. Theyre easily found. Might be worth a try.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I have the same problem.. an intermittent Cam position sensor CEL. The car runs great with or without it so I don't worry about it. I have wondered about the "stretched" timing chain theory though.

·
Super Moderator
10,576 Posts
The magnets in these kind of sensors can get weak over time; and these do get baked pretty badly.

This is basically a magnet and a coil, cast into a housing; when a piece of metal goes by, it changes the shape of the field, and this makes a current flow in the coil. A resistor on the other end changes it into a voltage the eec can see.

The easy things to check are to measure the resistance of the circuit with a good Digital Meter; with the sensor in place, it should be low (can someone post the measured value of a good one?), ~100-5k ohms; unplug the sensor while measuring the resistance. This value should be the resistor inside the eec, if it blows, or changes value, it won't work. I would expect this to be around 10k; (maybe 5k to 50k; Anyone?)

Be careful measuring around the EEC; they are static sensitive, and can be zapped pretty easily.

Are the EECs potted in epoxy? This might be fixable.

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have the same problem.. an intermittent Cam position sensor CEL. The car runs great with or without it so I don't worry about it. I have wondered about the "stretched" timing chain theory though.
mine has been getting that code too since i bought it, but lately its been throwing it regularly, sensor is new, circuit is fine, i even gave it the "wiggle test" and had continuity, but it still pops that code. i'll see what happens when i swap in my 97 pcm and wiring.
I thought mine ran pretty well with the CEL on. But it runs much better now that I replaced the PCM. It's a pretty noticable difference.

Prior to replacing this I did check all the wiring and changed the sensor, and it didnt help the problem.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts