TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My manual speaks about thrust spring but it has no good pictures of it. There are only a drawing which doesn't macth with my Tbird's engine(1991 3.8 n/a). Can I handle camshaft's endplay with some spacer?

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
i belive its referring to a thrust button and spring. the button is like a bolt, with the spring behind it, iirc. when i did my cam swap, i dont think there was a spring. i could be wrong. there is supposed to be a spacer behind the cam sprocket.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
there's no spring, are you sure you're looking at the 3.8?

There is the cam thrust bearing, maybe thats what its talking about. It slides on over the cam behind the keyway against the front journal, the keyway has to be removed to get it on or off. My reground cam didnt come with a thrust bearing and I didnt even notice, I installed the cam not knowing and the rotating assembly wouldnt turn over when I wrenched on the crank bolt, good thing my roommate glanced at my old cam and noticed it on there. That could have been catastrophic.

-Thomas

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I'm sure 3.8. And my manual says "camshafts endplay is restrained by spring".

I tried first without cam thrust bearing(manual didn't say anything about it). After testdrive... and lot of repairing (heads) I noticed the thrust bearing on old cam...

Does anyone know the right torque for thurst button (bolt)?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have this sound coming from under the hood of my car that sounds just like the "wheel of fortune". Anyway, I've been searching for solutions and read your post... could you tell me what it is before a mechanic takes a look at it?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
kaderyde said:
Yes I'm sure 3.8. And my manual says "camshafts endplay is restrained by spring".

I tried first without cam thrust bearing(manual didn't say anything about it). After testdrive... and lot of repairing (heads) I noticed the thrust bearing on old cam...

Does anyone know the right torque for thurst button (bolt)?

I'm not familiar with the 3.8 cam thrust bearing, but alot of thrust bearings are also reffered to as wave springs.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
XR7IST said:
I have this sound coming from under the hood of my car that sounds just like the "wheel of fortune". Anyway, I've been searching for solutions and read your post... could you tell me what it is before a mechanic takes a look at it?
loose rocker, bent pushrod, sticky lifter, spun rod bearing, worn rod bearing. There are many different things it could be. Can you tell where the noise is coming from on the engine?
-Thomas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts