TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Definitely. It would actually be an easier swap than later models. The AOD in your 86 will bolt right up to the 302.

-Rod

EDIT: I stand corrected, your car has a C5.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:cool: I'd like to do some kind of swap, I'm just not sure what? What would be good to use? crate? used stang motor? I'm not really up on this stuff:eek:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
As a general rule it's best and usually cheapest have a donor car to swap parts off of if you're going to do a V6 to V8 swap. If it was me I'd be looking for a rear ended 88 302... just my 2 cents.

You may want to do some reading at http://www.ford-fox.org/

·
Registered
175 Posts
Shouldn't the 86 Bird come with a C-5 Trans.? My 86 did, I had it rebuilt as a C-4 with a shift kit (removed lock-up converter and shift delay system). It works great, only slightly less mileage on the high-way. The C-4's were used on many 302's back in my time.

·
Registered
150 Posts
in 86, the car could have the C5 or AOD, does it have overdrive?

if youre doing a 302 swap, your best bet would be to find a Thunderbird or Coupe (86-88) with a 302, grab the wiring harness, use all the accessory brackets and all that stuff, and get a Stang engine and computer

theres many factors to think about, are you going to modify this engine? leave it stock? what kind of power are you looking for?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
well.. he can always run a carbed setup, less efficient, but easier to do. but if the c5 bolts up to the 3.8, it will bolt up to the 5.0... unless ford changed the block when the mn12 went into production? (which i have never heard anything about) -greg

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
if youre doing a 302 swap, your best bet would be to find a Thunderbird or Coupe (86-88) with a 302, grab the wiring harness, use all the accessory brackets and all that stuff, and get a Stang engine and computer
I like that idea the best. Because either way (carb or SFI) you're going to be hacking into the wiring harness, you're going to be changing stuff. I'd just go on eBay and get an EVTM for both your donor car and the car receiving the swap, then map out what you have to change. It really isn't as hard as you might think. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts