TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an X-pipe and 10 feet of exhaust pipe. I'm not sure if it would be safe to drop the exhaust under the gas tank for ease. I KNOW the easiest way isn't always the best way. But it would be less obstructive bends in the pipe, and it would conserve pipe as well. There would still be thermal guard between the exhaust and fuel tank, so heat is no issue. Ground clearance would be 6-7 inches. Ideas? Suggestions? I'm going to remove the third cat, replace it with the x-pipe, then go straight back to mufflers (of some sort).

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
I have true duals running under that gas tank tunnel with no problems

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do I do with the 3rd cat to not throw a CEL?

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
What do I do with the 3rd cat to not throw a CEL?
Ask yourself this:
Q: Is there a sensor after the 3rd CAT?

I don't remember one. If there isn't a sensor, how would the ECU know to throw a CEL?

-g

PS. I had 3" true duals on my tbird . With a 1.5" suspension drop, I pretty much had 2" of clearance between the lowest point of the exhaust and the ground. Completely impractical for a street car (you'd rub on any road hump -- even the really short ones) and only marginally more useful on the track. It did sound glorious though. We'll see if I keep this setup with the V8.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just took a look after posting my last question only to find that I'm an idiot. I'm going to keep the stock manifolds and cats up front, replace the third cat with the x-pipe, and then drop the pipe under the fuel tank all the way to the back. If any of that is immediately alarming to anyone, I'd love to hear it. Getting the pipe bent tonight for $10 at a local shop. Thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They will not be running through the same exhaust tunnel. They will be dropping 3" before the gas tank then back up 3" and out towards the corners after the rear axle.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
That sounds like a hack-job in the making. It should look similar to this (image credit to racecougar)

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
I run no cats on my 95 and have no check engine light

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Performance is not necessarily what I'm going after by throwing it under the tank. More than anything, it's cheaper and easier. I know "if you're gonna do it, do it right... The easy way isn't always the best way"... etc. but for me, it's the decision I have made. I held the bent pipes up there and I still have a good 5 inches from the ground. Stock suspension and stock 15" wheels. That's higher than the Nissan Sentra SE R next time mine. Haha.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Performance is not necessarily what I'm going after by throwing it under the tank. More than anything, it's cheaper and easier. I know "if you're gonna do it, do it right... The easy way isn't always the best way"... etc. but for me, it's the decision I have made. I held the bent pipes up there and I still have a good 5 inches from the ground. Stock suspension and stock 15" wheels. That's higher than the Nissan Sentra SE R next time mine. Haha.
Then you'll be set. Oh, I also have a 1.5" drop b/c I'm using the sticky, cheap, yet completely retarded looking Dirazza Star Spec Tires in 205/50-R15s (3" smaller in diameter than a stock profile).

-g

One more thought: Consider adding some form of clamps to allow you to disconnect the exhaust in sections. I got my exhaust in a trade and it's a single, completely unwieldy X shape that's 15' long and 3-4' wide. I may cut my exhaust and add these clamps to make it more maneuverable.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Post up some pics after its completed. Id be interested in seeing how the hell you get 5" of clearance from a stock bird. I agree with Matt your going to scrape.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
But it would be less obstructive bends in the pipe, and it would conserve pipe as well.
Conserve the pipe !! :tongue: The last thing you need are obstructive bends .. for all of that hot air you are pushing with that high performance engine, why not just cut the exhaust off right after the resonator ? It will be loud, less obstructive, and you will conserve even more pipe at the same time !!

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
Post up some pics after its completed. Id be interested in seeing how the hell you get 5" of clearance from a stock bird. I agree with Matt your going to scrape.
4" lifts?

I have stock (well, 21 year old!) Sport/SC springs on Ruby, and SHE scrapes occasionally.

To the OP - I'm with the "route them out in front of the back tires" suggestion if conserving pipe is that big a deal. Because, you probably won't conserve but, what, 1 foot or so total?

RwP

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Conserve the pipe !! :tongue: The last thing you need are obstructive bends .. for all of that hot air you are pushing with that high performance engine, why not just cut the exhaust off right after the resonator ? It will be loud, less obstructive, and you will conserve even more pipe at the same time !!
:uppoint:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm on an iPhone and I'm not quite sure how to upload a photo. After I read some of the replies this morning, I figured I must've measured wrong. So I mozied out to my car, grabbed the measuring tape from the back seat, and measured 7.5" exact from the bottom most portion of the fuel tank to the ground. I will be running 2.5"OD pipe. If I drop it .5" to make sure it doesn't rattle, that leaves me with 4.5" clearance. Which is .5" greater than the side braces on the car. So unless I'm a complete moron, it will be fine. The point of this thread was to find whether or not its safe and possible to run under the gas tank. Not to focus on conserving pipe or adding HP. I appreciate the opinions, which were, in all honestly, duly noted when respectable.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Your missing something else, the fact that it will look like crap. I would be pissed if I saw a pipe hanging down from my car. If you dont have the money then wait and do it correctly. The finished product will look, sound and perform better. Also everyone wont (or probably wont as much) laugh at you behind your back. If you take any kind of pride in your car dont do it

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think all but you will agree that the bends going down instead of sideways will NOT effect the sound OR performance of the exhaust. The bends are still going around the tank (like stock), just down instead of to the side. So that's a bust. And as far as look, I (and the people I've talked to about it so far) don't think it will look all that bad. They will run tight to the bottom of the tank and won't "dangle" or anything.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts