TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NO.
Not gonna happen. (I can't believe I was asked about this yet again.....mods: Sticky or Tech Section please?)

You cannot just add the TL clutches and steels to an open carrier. The carrier is not machined for that, and the side gears are unique to a TL as they have teeth to engage the clutch steels.
[/URL]

You will have to either score one from a yard, buy one from a private Seller, or order up a brand-new unit from Summit, Jegs, or other Vendor and then install it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If I understand correctly, you can use a non-irs 8.8 trac lok unit in an IRS rear end, but there won't be provisions for the axle circlips...right?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I understand correctly, you can use a non-irs 8.8 trac lok unit in an IRS rear end, but there won't be provisions for the axle circlips...right?
Yes. As long as it's a 28 spline unit, the stock Tbird/Cougie halfshafts will fit. As far as the circlips go here's two options (if it's not an IRS unit) - either remove the circlips from your shafts altogether or get a taper machined or dremel-ed in the side gears.
  • Couldn't-be-Easier: circlips delete.
  • Stickler-for-Correctness: taper the side gears.
Either choice works fine, but if you just slam the shafts home with the circlips into a non-IRS unit, it will be very very difficult to remove them again after that.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Any measurements on the taper needed or pics?

·
Super Moderator
10,772 Posts
It will drop right in, and the axles fit perfectly. :zdevil:

It is Almost Impossible to disassemble.

The circlips are just metal circular pop-in pop-out clips; normally, I pop them loose with a large screwdriver against the cv point.

Without a bevel, 45° should be fine, you cannot get them to compress from the outside, and from the inside is a nightmare.

I remember this thread has pix, bowez: (Thanks ClintD!)

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=108693

Hopefully, no one here has done this. :)

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,265 Posts
What do those clips even do.
The axles just pull out with no effort.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Perhaps you should make this post a little more clear and upbeat:
* While you cannot modify a open diff carrier to use TL clutches NOR should you use a TL carrier from a non-IRS car without dealing with the c-clips, you CAN just swap in an IRS TL carrier/unit from another tbird/SC without any fuss.

-g

·
Registered
19 Posts
Perhaps you should make this post a little more clear and upbeat:
* While you cannot modify a open diff carrier to use TL clutches NOR should you use a TL carrier from a non-IRS car without dealing with the c-clips, you CAN just swap in an IRS TL carrier/unit from another tbird/SC without any fuss.

-g
You can also use a Power Trax i have one works great.
And it only comes on when you need it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts