TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to back the car out to the driveway, clean the lower engine and bay and drive it back in.

Can I run the engine like this? Of course I will hook up the upper cooling hose.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
You need oil. You don't need coolant (for a little while at least).
None of your accessories will be operational (water pump, alternator, power steering) and you will by relying 100% on your battery to crank the engine twice (once to move out, once to move in).

I wouldn't run the car for long and I wouldn't rev the engine.
In fact, I would personally see if I could move it one way unpowered and the just drive it back in.

-g

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would personally see if I could move it one way unpowered and the just drive it back in.

-g
That was my thought. I can push it out, I just can't push it back in.

Battery is good.

I will use the upper coolant line on so I don't get what little coolant that is left all over the engine.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Sounds like you're asking about running the engine for only a couple of minutes. Should be fine. In fact, the coolant is not likely to spill out with the water pump disconnected.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Great pictures!

Good idea, using cardboard to keep track of everything. Sometimes I draw or write notes on it before I punch bolts and stuff into it.

I like the light ballast on the hood too. That would have made mine go easier.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great pictures!

Good idea, using cardboard to keep track of everything. Sometimes I draw or write notes on it before I punch bolts and stuff into it.

I like the light ballast on the hood too. That would have made mine go easier.
Thanks buddy.... I do need to let everyone know about the hanger I HAD mounted to the ceiling. After 20 years of using this hook, it snapped one day and the hood came crashing down. If you don't believe in a God or something watching over you, you should. I am living proof. After the hood had been hanging like that for days, the hook decided to break right after I moved out from looking at the engine bay to look at something. If I would have stayed there looking at the engine two more seconds, I would surely still be in a hospital.

I put a better hook up. I had an old bike hook in my junk bolts and ran that up in the stud. So far so good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts