TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '90 SC and my buddy is throwing a 350 "Rocket" in his 67 Impala. I figure I should be able to take him but he insists he'll beat me with his 12" slicks. That doesn't have me too worried, should i be? I'm not a car expert so I'm not sure, What i'm worried about more then the 350 is the 464 he's planning on throwing in it later. What are my chances of beating him each time? I can't see the 350 being a problem giving that its in an Impala of all cars! Its automatic, not sure on the gear set up tho. I gotta 5-spd w/ a lightning MAF (only 80mm maf?) and either the Borla exhaust or mn12. The previous owner said it was a "stainless steel exhaust" (only borla and MN12 carry stainless steel... last time i checked) and we never asked past that part. But by the time he's ready i'm thinking i'll have.... Cold air intake, throttle body and OD pulley atleast. Maybe some high flow cats. What do u guys think?

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
depends how modified the 350 is...

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
is his engine bone stock i mean thouse engines dont make alot of hp stock and plus thew auto and the weight on his car who knows if yours is in good condition and it has all the power it will be a good race try it and let us know .

Jurgen

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will, when it happens. I'm not sure how much he's gonna mod it. He wants to do new brakes. As of now, he has no engine, and 4 wheel drums (wants 4wheel discs) so he's not going to have alot of money to be throwing into mods right away. I'm not sure when its gonna happen, but when it does, I'll post the results for sure. Otherwise, i guess I'm screwed for the 464? lol. My car is in great condition. Its tranny, supercharger, cooling system, brakes, clutch, water pump, hg's and all that was all re-done recently. The list looks a lil short... i know i forgot something! We'll just have to see

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I had a mid-70s Olds Omega (Nova clone) 2 dr with the 350 Rocket in it. It seems to me that it was fairly quick, but that was a long time ago. I do remember that it always ran hot. I had a 67 Fairlane with a 289 in it that would have kicked it's butt.

It was good for burnouts. If both are running well, it might be close. Those Impalas are huge though.

My SC seems to have more pull than the Omega did.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I hate to contradict Jurgen but a bone stock 1970'ish olds rocket 350 makes about 300hp and almost 390 ft.lbs of torque (w/dual exhaust).

If it has anything other than the qjet carb on it and a reasonable manifold it will
make 350hp.

Car weight will be the difference.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then it'll be a close one. We'll just have to see. Maybe after the bad weather, just after winter if we can find a dry day, we'll see what happens. It would be nice if i could race him on a cold day cause my car loves the temps right now.

·
6,253 Posts
know what??

<---- that purple beast loves cold air too.. especially if i take the hood off to allow the air to go directly into the filter....

good luck....it doesn't take much to bring a carbed 350 up to 360+ hp

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
soop said:

My SC seems to have more pull than the Omega did.
I think that I need to qualify my statement. I was 20 when I had the Omega. I am now 42. Given that, you would have to factor in the phenomenon that perception of speed increases as one ages.

By age 72, my 3.8 LX will feel as quick as the Omega did.

So watch out.

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
tbirdbrain said:
I hate to contradict Jurgen but a bone stock 1970'ish olds rocket 350 makes about 300hp and almost 390 ft.lbs of torque (w/dual exhaust).

If it has anything other than the qjet carb on it and a reasonable manifold it will
make 350hp.

Car weight will be the difference.
so that tells you that i really dont care to know about GM i know more about the 93+ gm 350's i am a ford guy but i will remember tho thanks .

Jurgen

·
6,253 Posts
someone once asked:

If you are a Ford guy, why do you own the Nova???

basically, "it pays to learn the language of ones adversary"

my friends have firebirds, camaros, vettes, hondas, etc etc.. i find out as much as i can about them and catalog it in my head so i know what their capabilities are..

JD

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
jamesD said:
someone once asked:

If you are a Ford guy, why do you own the Nova???

basically, "it pays to learn the language of ones adversary"

my friends have firebirds, camaros, vettes, hondas, etc etc.. i find out as much as i can about them and catalog it in my head so i know what their capabilities are..

JD
like i said before i try to keep up and learn everything its not easy to know everything before you was born Sh*** i only been liveing here since 98 and i know more then you if you want to try and talk about it .

Jurgen

·
6,253 Posts
:2huh:

dude.. i not saying i know more than you.. i don't know where that came from..

i just finding out a lot of guys don't know/care to know about other brands of vehicles..

i was just stating something..why does everyone have to be confrontational..

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
my knowledge of the 'old stuff' come from years of being 'old'!

can we have a group hug:eek:

i just finding out a lot of guys don't know/care to know about other brands of vehicles..
yup, brand loyalty. personally, I like things that go fast. I would like an 'edsel' if
it went fast enough (an old car reference:D ).

hope this helps smooth the waters a little.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Are you sure its an Olds 350 and not a chevy 350? Just wondering because the chevy used a differant bellhousing than buick olds and pontiac.personally i would wait and throw a 502 cu. in. in the impala.I used to run a 72 Impala convert. with a 454 automatic.:zdevil: Now that was crazy fast:zdevil:

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
96lxcorey said:
Are you sure its an Olds 350 and not a chevy 350? Just wondering because the chevy used a differant bellhousing than buick olds and pontiac.personally i would wait and throw a 502 cu. in. in the impala.I used to run a 72 Impala convert. with a 454 automatic.:zdevil: Now that was crazy fast:zdevil:
You're right. There are differences. I learn something new every day. Check these links.

Olds Rocket vs Chev 350
Olds Rocket article.

My '74 had Oldsmobile Rocket on the air filter cover.

This might help your friend out Motocross.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I was going to post that, but you beat me to it. I laugh when people tell me they have a 350 rocket, and I look in it and it's a SBC. I don't even correct them anymore.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts