TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if a 2V Mustang with stock heads can easily make 400-700hp then why cant we with a bird... Id be willing to do it... 5-6 grand and have a 400hp 4.6L thunderbird.... Does anyone on TCCoA have a turbo'd 4.6?
I really want to do this swap and after selling my S4 I want to seriously look into it... I just dont see how a 4R70W is ever going to stand up to it... maybe a beefed up Mark VIII trans...

courtesy of: http://www.turbochargedpower.com/96-04 Mustang.htm

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
Turbocharging is not cost effective in a T-Bird. There's no room to use a turbo around the engine compartment because of the bulky front K-member. Plus, turbos make a lot of heat and there's not much room to plumb an intercooler. That's why you won't see many MN-12 cars with turbos.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
that is a pretty slick install on that mustang though, im sure with enough cash you could get a set-up like that on a t-bird. it all boils down to money though, you can do anything with enough of it.

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
That 5 grand is almost enough for the longblock/trans required for such a swap. The strut towers are tight so some custom headers/manifolds/downtubes would have to be made and that can be rather costly if you are not DIY.

You owned an S4 at age 19??? ..and sold it for an MN12? WTF over?

-Scott

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
The closest thing right now is Sir Will, and his turbo is outback. Terribly inefficent, but a demonstration of "it can be done." I have seen a Cougar that seems to have a bit of room with the AC condensor removed....

--Craig

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scott: I still own the S4. By far the most enjoyable car to drive. If you want a car that makes the hair on the back of your neck to stand up and a car that corners with enough g's to make you slide out of the seat then an S4, RS4, or RS6 is the way to go.

I bought my S4 from an auction with a blown driver-side turbo. One of the roller bearings in the turbo itself went and, well, you can imagine what a titanium ball bearing can do when let loose inside of a running turbo. I picked it up dirt cheap and did the T-28 swap (same turbo used commonly in Sr20DET swaps) and its been great ever since.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Emerald94LX said:
Scott: I still own the S4. By far the most enjoyable car to drive. If you want a car that makes the hair on the back of your neck to stand up and a car that corners with enough g's to make you slide out of the seat then an S4, RS4, or RS6 is the way to go.

I bought my S4 from an auction with a blown driver-side turbo. One of the roller bearings in the turbo itself went and, well, you can imagine what a titanium ball bearing can do when let loose inside of a running turbo. I picked it up dirt cheap and did the T-28 swap (same turbo used commonly in Sr20DET swaps) and its been great ever since.
i think scotts cougie will do that and more ;)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
This was the condition when I got it. Note the crappy twilight black paint is gone:

This is now with 2005 RS4 Opaque Meridian Blue paint. The only real flaw is I cant get the date on the gauges to change.... Im guessing the date is the day the turbo blew.... I have no idea... Audi's are known for electrical issues anyway and this one isnt immune either lol:

This isnt my engine, serves just as a visual.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Emerald94LX said:
This was the condition when I got it. Note the crappy twilight black paint is gone:

This is now with 2005 RS4 Opaque Meridian Blue paint. The only real flaw is I cant get the date on the gauges to change.... Im guessing the date is the day the turbo blew.... I have no idea... Audi's are known for electrical issues anyway and this one isnt immune either lol:

This isnt my engine, serves just as a visual.

so its a salvage car?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yep.... which means it has essentially NO value

old turbo on left, new on right

2 valves? 4 valves? Why not 5 then? lol

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
I know the Audi platform very well, a close friend has a couple S4's including a S4 wagon! He also has an RS6 sitting in a crate in Germany (without a motor of course) waiting to come over. Right now he is just about done doing a 24valve turbo motor swap in his older 4000 and that thing only weighs in at a little over 2K so I sure it will be a hoot to drive.

Cougie smokes all his cars BTW,

-Scott

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Dr. FrankenCougie said:
I know the Audi platform very well, a close friend has a couple S4's including a S4 wagon! He also has an RS6 sitting in a crate in Germany (without a motor of course) waiting to come over. Right now he is just about done doing a 24valve turbo motor swap in his older 4000 and that thing only weighs in at a little over 2K so I sure it will be a hoot to drive.

Cougie smokes all his cars BTW,

-Scott

those Avants are totally sleeper.

Is your homie gonna take that RS6 to the Audi guy in Ft Meyers?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had the opportunity to drive a RS4 and those alone are a blast to drive. And I can only imagine what a RS6 is like... They make mince meat of E55's as they are. And dont forget the RS6plus.... 480hp.

Im content with my little S4.... It has its little qwirks here and there but for the most part it'll run with most of the stuff around here. I wish they made a bracket so that the T-88's will fit... Then again I doubt a stock S4 low end could handle that. Im just counting the days until this thing throws a fit over the 18psi its getting right now.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
used to valet here...yep, drove an RS6 and whatever the new S8 is or whatnot...fancy rides...i still love the TT v12 benzos tho...those are some mean luxo rides....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts