TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 with the sport wheels. I would like to know if can use the older center caps that are solid and have the thunderbird logo on it? The current center caps expose my lug nuts, I don't like the way it looks.

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, 97 Sport wheels are the same casting as the 93-95 SC wheels and their caps are a direct fit, BUT, it will be near impossible to get them back off since there's no recess to pry from, so that will have to be added
Ok, what about my lug nuts? Will they clear?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ok, what about my lug nuts? Will they clear?
No. They are too long. you need to find some off a Taurus or another t-bird that are shorter. Wont affect their ability to keep the wheel on, just they made the 1996/1997 ones longer to make it easier to pull off.

·
Super Moderator
10,769 Posts
Cougar lugs are short on the stock wheels.

IDK if that helps, lol.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I've thought about doing this to mine as well. I need to get my sport wheels refinished, and it seems the 1989-1995 flat cap with the logo retains the color better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No. They are too long. you need to find some off a Taurus or another t-bird that are shorter. Wont affect their ability to keep the wheel on, just they made the 1996/1997 ones longer to make it easier to pull off.
That's what I figured. Thanks for the input. I don't get why they made it different

·
Registered
410 Posts
That's what I figured. Thanks for the input. I don't get why they made it different
to allow for the same tool to be used on both. that way they did not have to make a longer shaft on the lug wrench to fit deeper in, and to also allow it to have a flush look. Also if you are refering to the cover, to allow for it to be used on more vehicles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts