TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please explain what Hub runout is and how to fix it, or get it fixed. My Cobra R's are still Vibrating from 40-55 with new rotors, matched lug with tire stem, new alignment, and rebalanced wheels. I have a feeling it is hub runout but I don't know how to explain it to My Dad, or where to go to fix it. Any help will be much appreciated, thank you much guys.

Kenneth Kramer
1995 LX 4.6

·
Registered
247 Posts
Runout is nothing more than a wobble, putting it simply. It can be out of round or off centered. Machining can fix improper runout on metal items.

Example of runout you may have seen : If you spin a bicycle tire and see it shift slightly to one side then back you can adjust the spokes to fix the runout. Did that make sense? I'm not too hot at explaining things, I usually just do it.

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,785 Posts
Kenneth,

Go to a shop and have the front hubs checked. Jim Phelps looked into this because he had a similar problem, like a lot of other people do. He has a write up on this, check it out.
Wheel Vibration Solution

Joe

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
The two things that helped me the most when dealing with my vibration problem was replacing the hub and having the tires balanced on a Hunter Balancer. You may also notice that the same people that are having the vibration problem also have problems with rotors warping. I believe the vibration and warping problem begins at the hub. If the hub is off just .003", it is out of spec and may cause rotor and wheel problems. When I replaced my hub, I put on new rotors, and my steering wheel shook much less. Then I had the tires re-balanced on the Hunter Machine and all has been well ever since.

Hunter Tire Balancer

Jim Phelps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts