TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The chick says "B1443" but I don't find any "B" in my book. She said it had something to do with the door, but I don't even have ANY "B" codes. I have a "P1443", which says "Evaporative emission control system - vaccum system, purce control solenoid or vapor management valve malfunction". Well, I dunno... maybe Chiltons is just wrong. I'll got get it scanned again tomrrow.

·
Registered
105 Posts
waLieN:
check this site out for your OBDII codes. The "B" wasn't exactly wrong but the code does start with a "P"
http://www.obdii.com/obdii.html

Types of DTC's

There are two categories of DTC's that apply to OBDII. They are listed below with Type A being the
more severe.

Type A
1.Emissions related.
2.Requests illumination of the MIL after one failed driving cycle.
3.Stores a freeze frame DTC after one failed driving cycle.

Type B
1.Emissions related.
2.Sets a Pending Trouble Code after one failed driving cycle.
3.Clears a Pending Trouble Code after one successful driving cycle.
4.Turns on the MIL after two consecutive failed driving cycles.
5.Stores a freeze frame after two consecutive failed driving cycles.

-hooD :cool:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's kinda weird, when driving again today, the light went off. Should I still worry about it?

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Only if it comes back on..............the problem may have been intermittent, and the code simply cleared itself

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rolling-Thunder said:
Only if it comes back on..............the problem may have been intermittent, and the code simply cleared itself
Well, I hope it doesn't come back.

·
Registered
105 Posts
WalieN:

:( P1443: Evaporative Emission Control System Control Valve

My 96 cougar had the P1443 code. The check engine light would come on and stay ON for months on end...then it would go off for a period of time. The cold winter weather made the light go on and off.

This went on for about a year and a half. Finally i had the dealership fix the damn thing. They reassured me that this code would not harm the engine. It didn't effect the driveability either. They replaced both the sensor and the solenoid. No more light. I would not worry too much about it...except for the fact that the "light" can drive you up a wall.

By the way, these parts are located under the passenger headlight area behind the bumper. I have the part numbers from the boxes the dealership used. I put the old parts in the boxes and put them under the work bench. Let me know if you need some numbers. I will check back here early next week.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much does it cost to fix? If it comes up again, I guess I'll fix it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
WalieN:

F572-14A606-BA
$14.98 (THERMISTOR ASSEMBLY)

E6ZZ-9C915-A
$26.18 (VALVE ASSEMBLY)

Those were the 2 parts the dealership replaced when i had the 1443 code. I also had the injectors cleaned and the MAF cleaned at the same time for a cost of $265. This was done during the summer of 2000.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you CEL stay on until you fixed the problem, or did was it just a periodic kinda light?

hooD said:
WalieN:

F572-14A606-BA
$14.98 (THERMISTOR ASSEMBLY)

E6ZZ-9C915-A
$26.18 (VALVE ASSEMBLY)

Those were the 2 parts the dealership replaced when i had the 1443 code. I also had the injectors cleaned and the MAF cleaned at the same time for a cost of $265. This was done during the summer of 2000.

·
Registered
105 Posts
WalieN:

It was periodic. Just when you thought that it wouldn't come back on...it would. Seemed like mine didn't care for the cold weather. But this went on for a year and a half. I was hoping the "Check Engine" light would burn itself out!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eh, when/if it comes back again, I'll order the parts. It shouldn't be too difficult to fix it myself.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the code came back again... I guess it's time to buy those parts.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you want to save yourself some money, you probably only need one of those parts. The Solenoid valve is easy to check. Just pull it out, try to blow through it, (nothing), then hook 12v to it, (now air should pass). If that is fine then it is probably the thermistor assembly (flow sensor). It could also be caused by a broken/leaky hose in that system. You may also want to purchase some fuel hose or equivalent as the original hoses are somewhat brittle and mine broke when removing these components.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I went down to my local Ford dealer to buy the valve and sensor, but they were closed. I'll pick up some hose while I'm @ it, tomorrow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts