TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw them on a supercoupe a long time ago and I thought they looked awesome.
http://community.webshots.com/album/33315773eBVIEN

There is the link to my pics of my car.

I am considering all exhaust options. I want my car to be a little different though.

I was also thinking of a single 3 or 3.5 inch out to the back.

danman

·
Registered
970 Posts
was the picture of the super coupe on this website? Because if it was red...that picture was photoshopped for me by someone else. It's been a while, so I don't think I have the picture any more. I'll see if I can find the picture...

-danimal

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car I saw was in real life.
The supercoupe looked awesome but I want to remember it with a pic before I go doing it to my baby.
The car was dark blue.

danman

·
Registered
970 Posts
that's awesome. I have yet to see one done in real life. Did the exhaust exit on both sides? I didn't figure it was possible on both sides with the stock tank, it seems like it would be in the way.

I'll work on that this afternoon.

-danimal

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I saw was dual side exhaust.
It was the old style. The pipe with a slotted heatshield.

It was way cool.

danman

·
Registered
505 Posts
Used to have those!

On a big 'ol 66 Buick Riviera. I'll have to dig through my old photos and see if I have one.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Are these the pipes you were thinking about?

Also added some Cobra rims...

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah(drool)

THat looks kick a** on that tbird.

Might I say that your modeling skills are coveted by yours truly. That is some awesome stuff.

I am seriously considering this mod now.

danman

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
That is some fine work, and a fine looking Bird. Only thing that could be better, is if it had a nice Cobra R cowl hood :)

·
Registered
825 Posts
Too bad side pipes on a tbird are pretty much impossible

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Impossible only costs more and takes longer. ;)

I wonder if there are any problems with them not exiting behind the passenger area? Seems I remember a state inspection thing in VA to that effect....

·
Registered
825 Posts
a) most laws require it dumps behind the rear tire
b) umm, the fuel lines run alongside the car, so if you want to die run sidepipes
b) are you doing this just for looks? because performance will be impacted slightly

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright tazer,
Way to crush a man's dreams. I am still cosidering it. I will have to weigh all
"costs" and look real hard under my car.

In reply,

a) PA laws require that the exhaust does not exit under living quarters. If it dumps out the side it is legal.
b)Insulated heatshields should take care of this.
b)how will my performance be impacted by sidepipes?

danman

·
Registered
825 Posts
Your going to have to run almost 2 90 degree angles just to get it to the side of the car. If you think insulated heatshields will protect the fuel lines, go for it, but take some before pictures of the car so we can compare the them to the junkyard pics

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Tazer's got a point...

maybe I'd rerun the fuel lines a little farther inboard? Up where the stock exhaust *was* should have some room.... A good hydraulic shop could probably fab some new lines for a fair price...

Bigger pipe in the bends would help some with restriction.... and depending what you wanted in there for mufflers might actually benefit performance. Less backpressure is a good thing but there is a point where not enough is a problem.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Don't get me wrong man, I would love to see sidepipes done on a car, its just I think the risks outweigh the final product

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It seems as if I have a couple of things to consider. I thank you all for all of the input. It is much appreciated. Mabye this idea will have to go on the back burner for now while I research a little more.

thanks,
danman

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I thought bench racing it through here qualified as research??

Tazer - don't think I was taking you wrong, I always heed the voice of reason. Any "radical" change made to a car has potential downsides and it's best to be aware of them. In fact it's a requirement for being able to find a way to get what you want and still be safe... for you, your passengers and the drivers around you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts