TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I am having some issues with my trusty 94 Cougar (3.8 of course). I am thinking that the head gaskets have gone south on me. I have the knowledge to replace them, but with my job, HOA and back problems, I do not see me doing this job in my driveway.

If anyone knows of a reputable guy who can do it in WPB, I would appreciate it. Thanks much.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
blkadder said:
Greetings,
I am having some issues with my trusty 94 Cougar (3.8 of course). I am thinking that the head gaskets have gone south on me. I have the knowledge to replace them, but with my job, HOA and back problems, I do not see me doing this job in my driveway.

If anyone knows of a reputable guy who can do it in WPB, I would appreciate it. Thanks much.
you may talk to " http://forums.tccoa.com/member.php?u=3378 "
Good luck !!!!!!!! MAIC

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much, I just sent him a pm. Hopefully the old girl will hold together for a few more days....

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update, I called the shop that usually works on my car, and found out they want almost $1900.00 to to the job. New (reman) heads, gaskets and all the other stuff that goes along with it.

I think I might be looking for a new ride this weekend... perhaps something with a nice 4.6.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
blkadder said:
Just an update, I called the shop that usually works on my car, and found out they want almost $1900.00 to to the job. New (reman) heads, gaskets and all the other stuff that goes along with it.

I think I might be looking for a new ride this weekend... perhaps something with a nice 4.6.
there is a white 1995 , 4.6 down the street, i can stop and get more info on it .
thats all i know of right now.
MAIC

for your CAT, just make shure you allways good on water and oil

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
I think Preston may only charge you half that for labor.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I found a 97 Cougar 30th Anniversary in Jupiter on a lot (financing is necessary at this point). They want about 5k for it, it is a 3.8 (drat!) but it only has 37k on the clock. I am going to check it out tomorrow and see if it is as good as advertised.

At this stage of the 94s life, I think it is time for her to go. Today I noticed that the radiator is leaking (probably why I can still drive the car, since it can't build any pressure). I am just afraid that if I fix the 3.8 then the trans may die, and on and on with little things that actually add up to big things.

I am still open to suggestions for repair shops or people who can help do the job, but I will need to do something soon, since the 94 is my only transport.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Al_Florida said:
I think Preston may only charge you half that for labor.
That is probably right but I would have to powdercoat something :tongue:
I don’t have any suggestions for local shops i'm afraid (and i've lived here for over 20 years.)
Being that I do stuff here at the casa, I am limited in terms of quantity of work I can do and I
have a short line of people waiting for some of my attention right now so I don’t think I can get it done
in a timely fashion without these other folks praying for additional hurricanes to hit us.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
tbirdbrain said:
That is probably right but I would have to powdercoat something :tongue:
I don’t have any suggestions for local shops i'm afraid (and i've lived here for over 20 years.)
Being that I do stuff here at the casa, I am limited in terms of quantity of work I can do and I
have a short line of people waiting for some of my attention right now so I don’t think I can get it done
in a timely fashion without these other folks praying for additional hurricanes to hit us.
Oh geez.. you said the H word... Way to go bud.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info tbirdbrain, I guess I am off to the dealer later today. Hopefully I will be bringing home another shiny new MN-12. I guess I will have to take better care of this one than the last.

By the way, thanks for using the H word....now I gotta go put up my shutters just in case one sneaks up on us.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the dealer that had a 97 Cougar tells me he sold it this morning (yea, right) I guess this weekend, I am off in search of another MN12. Joy!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
hope you didn't buy a car yet.. if you did, hope it was a 4.6...

in 2001 i bought a '93 'bird with a 3.8. 25k miles on it. 2 weeks after taking delivery it blew a head gasket...

did all the work myself, took the heads to a machine shop to be checked. put about $300 of parts and machine work into it and it was good to go.. it was about 6 hours to dismantle, about the same to put it back...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was hoping to do the work on my 94, but since my HOA would go ballistic, I need to find someone to do the work. I have had no luck so far, so I am still searching although not real hard since the car is still running pretty well. Hopefully something will come up and I can get the old girl back up to speed.

The problem with the car I saw at the dealer, is that it is still listed on their site. I had a friend who lives near jupiter motors stop by and ask to see the car, they told him it was out on a test drive, but they had a very nice chevy cavalier that he could drive. They must be using the car as bait to get people into the shop.

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
Dunno if you're still looking for a replacement or not, but I saw a 93 Mark VIII for sale last night. Its pearl white with tan interior, 88K, no sunroof, decent michilens, asking $3800. The body looked really good except for a spot on the front of the hood that looked like a half assed patch job, could be completely hidden by a hood bra :) The interior looked pretty good from what I could see. It was on the south side of Lantana Rd. just west of I95 in a parking lot facing the road. I was on my bike and didn’t have anything to write the number down, but I can go back if you're interested.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts