TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if the EVAP canister and all the other vacuum lines for it can be eliminated ? I haven't looked into what all is in the system or what else is connected to it so I don't know if it can be eliminated. I've done the PI headswap and eliminated the whole EGR system as well as the converters and have a dyno tune. I can hear a slight hiss up by the passenger headlight and think I may have a vacuum leak at the canister so I figured I would see if I can just remove it all together.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Jon

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
So, you've eliminated your converters and EGR system and now want to eliminate the EVAP system, too? My 7 and 5-year-old grand-daughters wanted me to thank you for polluting the air they'll be breathing! :)

Dennis

P.S. - Doesn't the state you live in have emissions testing? How do you get your car to pass if it does?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dennis.......Nope, no emission testing here in Michigan. I only drive the car on nice summer weekends and don't even put 1,000 miles on the car a year. If it was my daily driver I wouldn't have eliminated all the emissions stuff.

Matt........do you (or anybody else) know if there's more stuff running off the vacuum line that goes to the EVAP canister ?? Can I just plug the fitting on the back of the upper intake elbow for now and remove all the EVAP components later ?

Thanks,
Jon

·
5,650 Posts
The EVAP system is the only stuff on that line. You can indeed plug it but you will get a CEL unless the EVAP functions have already been turned off in your tune. It won't hurt performance to have the CEL light on because of the EVAP but it'll probably be annoying.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I removed mine a few years ago and reinstalled in earlier this year. I got tired of my gas tank building pressure and hissing when I remove the cap. The evap system is cool because it allows you to burn your fuel vapors instead of wasting them.
-Rob

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
With a decent tune you can pass a sniffer test without converters and on a OBD-II system its even easier (either jumpers or have it the secondary O2s disabled in tune); since most emissions tests on 96+ is just plug into the diagnostic port.

As far as the EVAP system leave it working.

·
5,650 Posts
With a decent tune you can pass a sniffer test without converters and on a OBD-II system its even easier (either jumpers or have it the secondary O2s disabled in tune); since most emissions tests on 96+ is just plug into the diagnostic port.

As far as the EVAP system leave it working.
The sniffer test you are talking about must have extremely high allowable values. Cats make a huge difference in HC and NOx ppms.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Well I didn't mean to imply would pass your NAZI state exam but the rest of the country would do fine.

I'm even aware of tuned carbed engine w/o emission devices passing sniffer tests. Cats are a quick relatively cheap fix and since the industry only quotes hp at the flywheel the cat restriction doesn't have much bearing on the number they choose to quote. Plus cats don't require the operator keep the vehicle in tip top shape.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Well I didn't mean to imply would pass your NAZI state exam but the rest of the country would do fine.

I'm even aware of tuned carbed engine w/o emission devices passing sniffer tests. Cats are a quick relatively cheap fix and since the industry only quotes hp at the flywheel the cat restriction doesn't have much bearing on the number they choose to quote. Plus cats don't require the operator keep the vehicle in tip top shape.
..I was going to say...

Running without cats makes the car smell like a f*#%ing lawnmower. ugh.

I could like, feel the carbon monoxide coming out of the exhaust... and it sounded like crap catless and felt more powerful with cats. I now run with cats but the 3rd cat is hollow, and I'm running stock exhaust tubing to a set of slightly higher-flow mufflers.

Torque and top end is slightly improved. I'd say I'm getting close to my 200RWHP goal.

But back onto the original topic, that friggin EVAP can. I trigger the code for mine every few days, I just keep turning it off. Isn't the thing buried in the passenger side fender, and don't you have to either remove the fender or the wheel well liner to service it?

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
yes that system is tucked away in the passenger side fender well. I believe you can see it through the bottom of the air box. Mine was all messed up after my accident. Looks like they just hooked vacuum lines up and didn't know where they went to. I had to get out the ford manual to see how it all went. but yeah... If you're getting purge codes it could be the valve, The evap canister or even teh gas cap.

·
5,650 Posts
yes that system is tucked away in the passenger side fender well. I believe you can see it through the bottom of the air box. Mine was all messed up after my accident. Looks like they just hooked vacuum lines up and didn't know where they went to. I had to get out the ford manual to see how it all went. but yeah... If you're getting purge codes it could be the valve, The evap canister or even teh gas cap.
It can't be the gas cap on these cars. They don't have a fuel tank pressure monitor, therefore they can't run that test.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts