TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was examining the indicator lights on the dash of my car and was finally able to read the light that never came on, and it read "Firm Ride". Not knowing what that meant, I opened up my TBird manual and dsicovered that SC's were provided with a nifty feature that allowed them to change their gas-adjust shocks with the push of a button. So i thought it might be neat to put it in my car. Is that a stupid idea? is it possible? should i just get the intrax lowering springs and some tokico shocks and forget the adjustable ride control?

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Well, I too am curious about putting the automatic ride control from a SC into my 95 LX, but I figured I couldn't be able to do with without the SC computer and wiring harness. Anyone with a 94-95 SC know any more information about your ride control system?

·
Banned
154 Posts
The Firm Ride is controlled by electronic actuators on the tops of the shocks, so you would need the wiring for those, electronic shocks, and then a Firm ride button wether that is factory or an aftermarket toggle switch. I doubt you already have the wiring, so you would need to run a new lead for each of the shocks, and tap into the lead for the firm ride indicator light in your cluster. It is possible, if you know what you're up to, and it woud be helpful to have some sort of wiring diagram for the firm ride control, like from the Ford manual, or EVTM manual.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Having both a 95 bird and a 94 and 11/12 SC The firm ride is not really worth it get yourself a good set of springs instead. The shocks are horrible for the SC and not to many peeps make then anymore............. Then again this is only my opinion and it would be interesting to see if it can be done.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
So do you think it would be possible? I don't know if it would be because of my 4.6L EEC V. Would mine have the proper outputs, could it be modified to have the proper outputs? Or is the Firm Ride control independent of the EEC V?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
i think the ride control is independent of the EEC, though im not 100% positive. the last time i looked through the EEC functions (which was a while ago) i didnt see anything related to the ride control.

although, ride control does come on automatically at certain speeds and certain throttle positions, so maybe it isnt independent. hrm.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
it's independant. the ride control has it's own box. The box contains a accelerometer (used in G-techs) that will trigger the firm ride upon acceleration (powering, braking, or cornering.

It's not worth it. IF you could get all the parts from a wreaked SC, it would be a big hassle for a system that isn't too great. The "soft" ride isn't very soft and the "firm" ride isn't very firm.

Just get the lowering spring of your choice, and some bilsteins.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
My opinion on the firm ride? Nice shock - when new. And, NOT worth the money to replace! Much less retrofit an older model that didn't come with it.

In my old 92, there's little difference between firm and soft. When I get new shocks - they will NOT be OEs, but a Bilstein.

My advice - get a good spring, and good shock, and forget about the 'fancy' firm ride
control system.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Too bad bilstein doesn't make a good shock that has a REAL difference that can be controlled by a SC ride control box.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you're interested....

I'm taking all the actuators, wiring, and the control box and possibly the shocks ( they have a few miles on them but they are still good) out of my 95 sc, If you want them I'll give them to you for the price of shipping. it all works and I have the plastic covers for the strut towers also. lemme know.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Cool Moneymaker. If you could shoot me some kind of price quote I'll consider it. I wouldn't mind trying it for the hell of it.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Its mine! He offered it to me first! ;) j/k

·
Registered
100 Posts
You're going to have to gimme a little time, I should have it all out mid october. shipping shouldn't be too much (parts are pretty light) and it all works. If your car is lowered I noticed in mine when in auto mode it switches between the two modes a little earlier. You will need the switch for manual control mine is junk, the cover came off and all its guts came out. but it should be an easy part to find (same as factory fog light switch). Once I get it out though its all yours Average joe.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Sweet! Thanks Moneymaker! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts