TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a dynomax cat back system on my 97 4.6. It has the "super turbo" mufflers. I think that they are quiter than stock! I am not about to yank them off though. I had two different people say that if I spray some water in the mufflers while they are very hot that it will cause the fiberglass to start to break up, thus making them louder. One of the guys works at midas muffler. I have noticed that alot of people are unhappy with the sound of the super turbo mufflers. Has any one ever heard of this or is it just plain hogwash?

W.Cup

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
yup feel your pain

I tryed everything to get those damn things louder. I even went as far as shoving a screw driver in there abit. Nothing helped but time...The way I understand it, the Fiberglass takes time to really break down. If you want louder get ravor mufflers.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
sounds like you are unhappy with them. What about cutting them open, removing the fiberglass and then welding them back together?

P.S. Take some pics!

If you don't like them THAT much, you can sell them...some people do like them.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I have it for a few months now. Its is starting to sound much better. Just give it time, and do more mods. :)
-Shawn

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had Dynomax...

W.Cup said:
I installed a dynomax cat back system on my 97 4.6. It has the "super turbo" mufflers. I think that they are quiter than stock!
W.Cup
They were not quieter than stock, but I had them at the end of a true dual system with no third cat of resonator. I do agree, that they will get louder with time. I did decide to go with the Flowmaster 40's though. The reason I went with the Dynomax at first was price. I agree that you should stick with them, and do some more mods (ie. intake tube, MAF, etc) and you will get some more sound out of them. I would also suggest true duals.

·
Registered
130 Posts
not loud to begin with!

IMO, these cars aren't loud even with no muffler attached!

further, the pitch and sound don't improve just by the mufflers alone. it isn't until you upgrade to headers and relieve the choke point (i.e cats) that the sound quality starts to improve.

Merely putting mufflers on these cars won't deliver the siren's song of exhaust like that found on my '65Riviera GS (hooker headers), or my former cars: '71T-Bird (edelbrock heads/headers) or the '87Mustang GT (hi-flow cats).

·
5w30 Guzzler
1,462 Posts
i disagree, i have the stock heads, gutted cats, and just one delta flow 40 series where the resonator used to be and everything else is stock minus the mufflers. it's honestly loud. not eardrum punching, but i had a friend floor it from a stand still while i was behind, and it did hurt my ears. also, for a lont time, i had just the stock manifolds with gutted cats and the pipes ended about 4 ft off the engine. now THAT was LOUD! all i had to do was feather the gas going down the street late at night and people complained. just give them time. my 40 series was A LOT quieter than i had expected. i was actually posting to sell it, but i was told to wait and hear. well, finally a couple weeks later, my parents both started saying "what'd you do to your exhaust now? you just payed to get it fixed, and you're screwing it up already?" and i told them i didnt touch it and they didnt believe me because of how much louder it was! i'm really happy with the way it sounds now. and that's the stock catback minus stock mufflers, plus one 40series. some people pour a little gasoline into mufflers to burn up the fiberglass. i dont know if your mufflers are welded on, but i'd advise to take them off if you're going to do this. cause after that, they'll get real hot and if they're touching your bumper, they'll probably melt it. and fire shoots out the pipes. so just be careful and dont light anything near the gas tank. i did this with glass packs and it still took a little time to blow the small chunks of fiberglass out after it was burned. got louder with time.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
If you want loud......

try what I did. I ordered ART's true dual system in stainless steel. It comes with an x-pipe, and I ordered it with the high flow cats for legal purposes. I am running no mufflers, just two big fat 3.5" (i think) tips out back. It is LOUD but not to the point of being annoying IMHO. Under normal acceleration it sounds very good and is moderately loud, however when you jump on it, trust me when I say it is f**king WICKED sounding. I had a friend of mine give me a drive by in a parking lot and it is awesome. VERY LOUD. Some crackling and popping on decelleration. I did run this same setup without cats for a day and it was unbelieveably LOUD!!!!!! Wake the dead loud. Too loud for me for everyday driving, and trust me, I like loud. Do ART's system w/cats and no mufflers and you will be happy I think and if it's too loud or you don't like the tone you can always throw mufflers on later.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Well, a cat delete will throw a code on a stock car because of the OBDII sensors. The O2 sensors are in front of the cats, so they don't care if you have cats or not, but the OBDII sensors are after the cats to make sure the cats are working properly. I'm guessing that most of these guys have aftermarket chips that disable the OBDII function so they can have the 3rd or more cat deleted without any code throwin. I plan to have a dynomax based true dual with an x-pipe system built someday, when I actually have the money to have it done...

·
5w30 Guzzler
1,462 Posts
you have 4 o2 sensors in your exhaust. 2 before the first set of cats and 2 after them, but before the 3rd cat. your 3rd cat can be deleted without the computer even knowing it. but the first two cats will cause your computer to throw a code. the thing is though, the 2 sensors after the cats (the ones that "know" something is wrong with the cats) have no effect on how the vehicle runs. they are there purely by mandation just to monitor the catylitic converters so the treehuggers will stay happy. the MIL is annoying and keeps you from knowing if another code is thrown without scanning your computer, but it wont hurt a thing. MIL Eliminators are harnesses that simply plug in and tell the computer all is fine back there with the cats. with a burnt chip, the MIL function can be taken off those particular sensors.
but mess with the first set of o2 sensors and you're gonna have major problems. the cats have absolutely nothing to do with them though. happy guttin.:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
So if I get a custom chip, I can metion this and have the MIL (had to look that one up ;)) disabled, OR get this harness that plugs inline (at the computer?) and I guess leaves off that particular lead. Or just live with it like I do my ABS light on my current ride. There are no emissions checks here, so I could probably get rid of the cat's entirely. When I get the car that is. Already making plans!

BTW, is the stock exhaust really that restrictive, or do some of you just swap in some high flowing mufflers? What is stock diameter? I'm also picking up that I'd be better off getting a '92 due to something about the gas tank, if I want to dual it later. Right?

I've already got a muffler in mind that has been proven/dyno'd (by purchasers) to be really good with 6 cylinders, but it isn't a mainstream brand. I'd like to stick with just that if the whole plumbing doesn't really have to go--IF I don't try to dual it out.

·
5w30 Guzzler
1,462 Posts
yeah man. the MIL eliminators usually run $30 a piece i think and they plug into the o2 harnesses themselves (very easy to do). for the last couple months, so far i've just lived with the MIL bein on, but i wanna get a custom chip sometime.

yes, if you have a 91 or older, it's recommended you switch to the 92+ gas tank bc of less bends. you'll be fine for now though. i believe the muffler is pretty restrictive, getting a higher flowing one or just cutting it off and running straight pipes will have some benefit. it depends how much the muffler is. if it's real pricey, the money may be better spent elsewhere on your car. sorry i dont know the stock exhaust size. all you gotta do is get under there with a ruler and measure the diameter though. good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
LOL! I would get under there, but I haven't bought a car yet. Just getting hyped up about the prospect. Hope to have one in 2-3 weeks. The Powervault muffler is around $180, may just go larger diameter single pipe? Pricey to get 2.

·
5w30 Guzzler
1,462 Posts
$180?! damn that's expensive. i'm sure you can find better than that. too bad i dont know what could be improved with a 3.8 or i could tell you what that $ would be better spent on. maybe you should ask the opinions of the guys over at sccoa.com. but if you're really into that muffler then go for it. good luck findin a bird!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts