TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a 96 V6 thunderbird transmission fit in a 95 V6 cougar?

·
8,239 Posts
yes, you can put any 3.8 4r70w in your car as long as you retain your stock tcc solinoid and stock mlps. And make sure the pinout is right.

JH

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
MLPS: Manual Lever Position Sensor

(from the Service Manual):

The manual lever position sensor (MLP sensor):

Is transmission-mounted.
The powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650) monitors the voltage across a series of step-down resistors that corresponds to the position of the manual control lever (7A256). The powertrain control module uses this information in determining desired gear and EPC pressure.
Permits the engine to start only in the PARK and NEUTRAL positions.
Activates the back-up lamps in the REVERSE position

TCC: Torque Converter Clutch (it's part of the torque converter, based on a drawing in the service manual- see part #5 in the following drawing)

TCC Solenoid: Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid (it's inside the Main Control Valve Body)

More info from the service manual:

Electronics
The powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650) and its input/output network control the following transmission operations:

Shift timing.
Line pressure (shift feel).
Torque converter clutch.
The transmission control is separate from the engine control strategy in the PCM, although some of the input signals are shared.

The powertrain control module receives some input signals from engine-related sensors:

Mass airflow sensor (MAF sensor) (12B579) .
Engine coolant temperature sensor (ECT sensor) (12A648)
Barometric pressure sensor, etc.

These signals provide information to the powertrain control module about the load and climate under which the engine is operating. Some other inputs are based on driver inputs, such as accelerator pedal position which is related to the powertrain control module by the throttle position sensor (TP sensor) (9B989). Still other inputs are provided by:

Transmission components.
Output shaft speed sensor.
Manual lever position sensor (controlled by driver placement of the shift lever).
Transmission oil temperature sensor (TOT sensor) (7H141)

Using all of these input signals, the powertrain control module can determine when the time and conditions are right for a shift or torque converter clutch application. The powertrain control module can also determine the line pressure needed to optimize shift feel. To accomplish these functions, the powertrain control module controls four electronic solenoids:

Two On/Off shift solenoids (7G484).
One pulse- width modulated torque converter clutch solenoid (TCC solenoid) (7G136) for torque converter clutch (TCC) control or "controlled slip" of the torque converter clutch.
An electronic pressure control (EPC) solenoid for line pressure control

·
Registered
152 Posts
So where is this MLPS and how hard is it to change?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Would I need to do this swap if I am going from a 95 to a 96 trany on my 4.6?

Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread just seems its related.

Thanks,
-Miller

·
Registered
975 Posts
missycougar said:
So where is this MLPS and how hard is it to change?
It's between the shift linkage and the transmission. The hardest part is probably jacking up the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is it the ECM or the EPC?

Any help I can get from ANYONE would be excellent!
I have a 1996 Mercury Cougar with a 4.6-about 1 yr ago, the OD light began to flash, then check engine light came on. Car wouldn't accellerate, tach showed rpms increasing, but tranny seemed to bog down-the engine almost wanted to stall. I sat at the side of a very busy road in Florida (during tourist season too!) and after about 3-4 minutes-everything was fine. Last week the OD & Ck eng. light came back on, but didn't go off. Same problem as before-I took it to the local Ford dealer-they didn't have a clue! I went to pick up my baby, and the lights were off again-had good accelleration. That lasted for 1 week-took it to another dealer-they have had the car for 1 week and "think" my problem is the ECM or the EPC---FINALLY my question--Where is the EPC? Seems that IronChopz knows more about the operation of my engine and transmission than any dealer in my area! Please help Chopz! :confused: Thanks to all for any info you may provide!!

IronChopz said:
MLPS: Manual Lever Position Sensor

(from the Service Manual):

The manual lever position sensor (MLP sensor):

Is transmission-mounted.
The powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650) monitors the voltage across a series of step-down resistors that corresponds to the position of the manual control lever (7A256). The powertrain control module uses this information in determining desired gear and EPC pressure.
Permits the engine to start only in the PARK and NEUTRAL positions.
Activates the back-up lamps in the REVERSE position

TCC: Torque Converter Clutch (it's part of the torque converter, based on a drawing in the service manual- see part #5 in the following drawing)

TCC Solenoid: Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid (it's inside the Main Control Valve Body)

More info from the service manual:

Electronics
The powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650) and its input/output network control the following transmission operations:

Shift timing.
Line pressure (shift feel).
Torque converter clutch.
The transmission control is separate from the engine control strategy in the PCM, although some of the input signals are shared.

The powertrain control module receives some input signals from engine-related sensors:

Mass airflow sensor (MAF sensor) (12B579) .
Engine coolant temperature sensor (ECT sensor) (12A648)
Barometric pressure sensor, etc.

These signals provide information to the powertrain control module about the load and climate under which the engine is operating. Some other inputs are based on driver inputs, such as accelerator pedal position which is related to the powertrain control module by the throttle position sensor (TP sensor) (9B989). Still other inputs are provided by:

Transmission components.
Output shaft speed sensor.
Manual lever position sensor (controlled by driver placement of the shift lever).
Transmission oil temperature sensor (TOT sensor) (7H141)

Using all of these input signals, the powertrain control module can determine when the time and conditions are right for a shift or torque converter clutch application. The powertrain control module can also determine the line pressure needed to optimize shift feel. To accomplish these functions, the powertrain control module controls four electronic solenoids:

Two On/Off shift solenoids (7G484).
One pulse- width modulated torque converter clutch solenoid (TCC solenoid) (7G136) for torque converter clutch (TCC) control or "controlled slip" of the torque converter clutch.
An electronic pressure control (EPC) solenoid for line pressure control

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Thanks for the compliment; however, I just cut-and-pasted from a service manual. I am far from expert in regards to transmissions.

Nonetheless, from what I'm deciphering in the manual, the EPC is a solenoid located inside the main control valve body. The wiring harness, I believe, is white with a blue stripe. To get to it, you have to remove the transmission oil pan.

Others with more expertise may post more accurate info....also, check out the technical Articles' transmission section. There's an article or two that has photos that may help you.

Good luck!

--Pete

1 - 9 of 9 Posts