TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
drop a 5.0 into the body of an 89 Cougar? Now that the motor of my 89 Cougar XR7, Supercharged car is toasted, my son has suggested we drop a 347 stroker into the car and turn it into a sleeper.

It looks to me like that would be a nightmare of work though. Anybody done this?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Yes but you need a number of MN-12 specific items (I know Oil pan and mounts), so that you will need a donor car, or you might be able to talk to XR7 Dave at SCCOA.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, I would need a pan and mounts from a 5.0 Cougar, right? What about the fuel rails? Of course, if I went to carb that would not be an issue.

·
Super Moderator
7,654 Posts
Motor mounts and wiring harness are the only things that absolutely have to be from another 5.0 tbird or cougar. Fuel rails, intake manifold, oil pan, and front accessories, and ECM can also be from a 94/95 mustang. With all the parts though, it is actually a very straightforward swap.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
I did it in one night while at work! had to correct a lot of things throughout the week but I did drive it home the next morning.
quick tip!
don't do this to your only form of transportation.

it can be done with the 3.8 dash harness, but there is a lot of pin changes and some wiring has to be added.

Also you will need a cruise control module out of 87-88 or 91-93 V8 cougar-thunderbird and the cruise servo from any 91-93 thunderbird-cougar.

If you don't care about cruise, there is one wire that needs to be tied to ground for your horn to work.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
So, I would need a pan and mounts from a 5.0 Cougar, right? What about the fuel rails? Of course, if I went to carb that would not be an issue.
You need a good deal more parts. By going carb'd you'll run into fewer electrical
issues than I found with my 95 chassis but my other feedback stands.

See my DIY.
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=145119

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the info, guys! My son and I have a full rotating assembly and several 5.0 blocks for a 347 build sitting on the shelf, so it is a tantalizing thought to do this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I need help too. If I get a 93 t-bird with the 3.8, can I drop a 5.0?? The motor is from I believe a 93 mustang.I have a 91 with the 5.0(about to go) but keep my tyranny and swap it on the 93 t-bird?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts