TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching tons of video, reading, searching old posts....Can someone help me out here?

If I want to leave my stock cats and res....Can I really just cut the mufflers off, straight pipe it and it not cause harm to my car? It doesn't mess with the cats or cause fuel issues?

I want more rumble on my daily driver and on a tight budget. Was talking to a T-Bird guy last week and he said you could do this without any long term issues.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thats how my car is, never had a problem out of it all

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man thats awesome. Did it make a big difference? Did you dump them down or add the straight pipe? I may do this tomorrow! Thanks CJ

·
Registered
96 Posts
I made them look like the stock exhaust. just straight with a slight downward bend at the end. I didnt tell a difference in the way the car performed

·
Registered
96 Posts
Your welcome man and yes it will give it some rumble!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
He Chris......I did it. It does sound much better. I thought about cutting off the resonator too, I may later--but from inside the car, it does have a nice little grumble, but still quiet enough that you can talk to the passenger. Thanks man. It made a big difference and cost me 12 bucks for 2 Chrome tips and about 15-18 for a couple of pieces of pipe. Thanks again.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Im glad you like it. If I hold my car around 65mph all you can hear inside it is the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I'm half tempted to just gut my mufflers, and run pipe straight through them so it looks like I have mufflers but instead I'm running past them. Damned visual inspections!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm half tempted to just gut my mufflers, and run pipe straight through them so it looks like I have mufflers but instead I'm running past them. Damned visual inspections!
Just call the resonator a muffler :D

I never even got around to putting straight pipe or tips on my car after I chopped the muffs! I know, I know, very lazy! :tongue:

I lucked out though, I made a friend with a shell station! No tail pipe or muffler? No problem!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Just call the resonator a muffler :D

I never even got around to putting straight pipe or tips on my car after I chopped the muffs! I know, I know, very lazy! :tongue:

I lucked out though, I made a friend with a shell station! No tail pipe or muffler? No problem!
I did the same thing. Except NJ doesnt care about your exhaust pipe, just what comes out of it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would prefer to leave the stock mufflers on. You can cut the resonators off right at the mufflers. It frees up about 30lbs of weight in the back, and still sounds a little more throatier. I did this on my interceptor with excellent results.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I would prefer to leave the stock mufflers on. You can cut the resonators off right at the mufflers. It frees up about 30lbs of weight in the back, and still sounds a little more throatier. I did this on my interceptor with excellent results.
You mean resonator as in 1 and its no where close to the mufflers. I also seriously doubt it is 30 lbs.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
:confused:

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
You mean resonator as in 1 and its no where close to the mufflers. I also seriously doubt it is 30 lbs.
That was my first thought, too. Considering a muffler weighs about 15 lbs, I'm guessing that hollow resonator is about 5 lbs.

So maybe he's saying cutting the two rear mufflers off; THAT would be about 30 lbs.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
All work, no play, make Johnny a dull boy.

Just leave one of these around for your mom to find. lol Pages full of this. Maybe she won't b**** as much if you hack the mufflers off.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would be prepared to run exhaust pipe back to the bumper before I just hacked off the mufflers and left it. Carbon monoxcide poisioning!! It will get into your interior if you hack off the mufflers and called it a day. Do it right, save up some coin and buy an ebay special exhaust, that is if it still exists from a few years back that everyone was raving about. You will be better off in the long run and it would be done right.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I would be prepared to run exhaust pipe back to the bumper before I just hacked off the mufflers and left it. Carbon monoxcide poisioning!! It will get into your interior if you hack off the mufflers and called it a day. Do it right, save up some coin and buy an ebay special exhaust, that is if it still exists from a few years back that everyone was raving about. You will be better off in the long run and it would be done right.
Well I'm still here, and I've sat in my idling car for more than an hour at a time.

·
Banned
198 Posts
It Only Kills Your " Brain Cells " So

NOTHING REALLY LOST THERE !!!:D:D:eek:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts