TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The PO I bought this car from told me it had a replacement engine with 50,000 miles on it. I didn't think to ask him at the time if it was a PI engine, or an NPI. Is there any way to tell just by looking at the engine? This one has the updated intake manifold with the aluminum crossover, but it has a temp sensor on both sides, so I'm thinking it's an NPI. But when I compare it to pics of the PI engine in my last car (2004 Grand Marquis), I can't really tell much difference other than external stuff like plug wires vs Cops and which way the air intake is pointed.

The top photo is my T-Bird's motor. The bottom is from the Mercury. (The Mercury is now in a junkyard somewhere, so I no longer have it for comparison. I just have a couple of photos of the engine room, because I think pictures of V8s are cool)

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
The 1st intake runner will be on the driver-side on a PI intake.

Can't tell in the 1st picture

Also, PI heads will have d-shaped ports on the intake side while nPI with have circular intake ports.

Best bet would be to look for a part number on the block.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just checked. The first runner is on the passenger side, and I have 11-bolt valve covers. So I pretty much have a stock NPI engine. Seeing as the PO added flowmasters, Tokico shocks and lowering springs, I was kinda hoping that he swapped in the more powerful engine. I gues I couldn't get that lucky. But my butt-dyno tells me this car is a little faster than the Grand marquis it replaced. Probably due to having 3.27 gears as opposed to 2.73s, and a little less weight to haul around.

Once I get the cosmetic restoration done, I might contemplate a PI head swap on the NPI block, ang get better heads and more compression!

·
Is something burning?..
712 Posts
id be willing to bet its a PI, since my setup looks almost the exact same way.
not sure, but my guess is yes.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
From what I can see, the top picture is an NPI engine and the bottom engine pic is PI.

I'll tell you something else worth noting. It looks like that bottom engine is modified because those fuel injectors are red which means they are either 30 or 36 lb injectors; VERY LARGE and not stock on any Mercury that I know of...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They were actually a yellowish color. If it looks red, it's an effect of the digital camera. I was the second owned of that car, but I met the first owner's husband, a gentleman in his 60s. He didn't strike me as the kind to be hot-rodding his wife's car. Plus, based on the way the car drove, It didn't accelerate like it was modified. The car I had before that was a 3.0 Jaguar X-Type, and Jag would run circles around the Mercury.

·
Super Moderator
9,153 Posts
Those orange-ish injectors are 21s - stock on the PIs.

·
Is something burning?..
712 Posts
So just the difference is the runners?

·
Super Moderator
9,153 Posts
An obvious external difference is, yes.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
They were actually a yellowish color. If it looks red, it's an effect of the digital camera. I was the second owned of that car, but I met the first owner's husband, a gentleman in his 60s. He didn't strike me as the kind to be hot-rodding his wife's car. Plus, based on the way the car drove, It didn't accelerate like it was modified. The car I had before that was a 3.0 Jaguar X-Type, and Jag would run circles around the Mercury.
Yeh, sure looks red in the pic. My injectors are Yellow, but I have a set of the Orange ones too. Oh well, sorry to excite anybody for nothing! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts