TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the topic says...

I'm planing on moving to the US (florida to be exact) and just wondering what all do i need.. but am so damn confused :(

Just wanna be able to go down there, Get a job, a place to live.. spend time with a girl(friend) in the orlando area, ect...

Heh Maybe see if i can get a job at powered by ford <BAH! Like my 8+ years of building CARS will help me there >

I have tried immigration websites, ect.. but they just confuse me more... So i'm hoping to find SOMEONE on here that may know the stuff i need to do..

OH and i'll be in Orlando Florida again the last week of Feb..

And thanks in advance...

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Your going to need a good amount of paperwork just for your car. You should contact your own immigration office. This is one thing you want to do in person. It won't be a "fill this out" kind of deal...you have to apply and then get approved, ect.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I may call up a Lawyer or someone that deals with this kinda thing in the coming week(s) and see what they have to say about it all..

Well yah I personally hate paper work.. I wish it a simple just cross the board and live kinda thing.. but OH NO!!! not a single country is like that.. which sucks harshly..

and yah I'm gonna leave here.. The Nice warmness of florida.. or the freezing my *** of coldness of here :) I know it's only this itme of the year.. but still it's too much :)

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Welcome to the United States of America!

When you get here, INVEST! The stock market has been steadily rising over the past few months, and the DOW will break 10,000 within a few weeks. You'll make a little cash to get started with.

I don't know anything about immigrating, but Florida is great because they don't need to salt their roads... keep that Cougar looking great! ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think you'll be the only Canadian imigrant that Florida has! It's mostly full of cubans. Watch out for Tony Montana. I hear he's running things down there. Good luck getting a new start in the US.

Oh, and I'd suggest going down to the Immagration Office and seeing how much paperwork they can throw at you also.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Yeah if you're in Miami...I haven't seen too many Cubans up here in Orlando. There are plenty of Canadians in Florida...not so much in Orlando but definitely in SW Florida down south of Tampa in retirement-land where I'm from.

PBF is pretty nifty, but it is in the middle of the ghetto IMO...it'd be a pain getting there and leaving there every day!

·
Johnny Five is Alive, TCCoAAC Member
1,614 Posts
Population of Florida:

80% Northerners..
15% Non-American..
5% Native Floridians..

Note: YOUR into a BIG Culture Shock..

Things that are different from North and Here.

a) Driving sucks, IF you turn your blinker on to change lanes, your sol, poeple close in real fast to prevent you from changing lanes, or the guy behind without his blinking zips to were your were going..

b) Insurance prices are HIGH.. (no-fault state) I am 27, Safe Drive, Minumum Coverage, i pay 800/yr

c) Jobs, Depends on what you do, if it is the "Tech" Sector, it may be a little tough.. If you enjoy mowing lawns while being burnt from the soaring heat you have a good chance.. (also, if you speak Spanish, you will have a good chance as a Multi-lingle Sales/Billing Rep for a company)

d) Absolutily nobody trusts anybody here.. Ie, if you have a check that needs to be cashed, you either 1) have to deposit into a account, and wait 6yrs for it to clear. 2) goto the bank its drawn on (have to go inside, no drivethru for you) and show two forms of ID, and get a fingerprint taken...

e) There is this thing called the "Florida Rutt" most people who come here, get stuck, and are unable to get out, and no matter what they try, they can't leave for some reason

f) Humidity, its always 100% or about there, so, its may be 95% but its like your in a Sauna.. (its not a Dry Heat which is OK..)

g) good luck finding a Nice girl, i havn't found one that likes your for who your are, instead there want either your money, or want you for your money.. did I mention Money? Or there stuck up.

h) Rain, Rain, Hurricanes, Rain, Rain, Rain, Heat, Heat, and more Heat..

ok.. now.. the good things:

a) Medical Coverage, if you have a good job w/Healthcare, your don't have to wait 1 year for a liver transplant.

b) TV, yes, FREE Press.. All the good American Television you can get.. No Government Regulations..

c) Women, there good eye candy..

d) Beaches, if you like salt water, its nice (i prefer fresh water, dislike salt)

e) hmm.. I sure there is more..

Now, Why am i here?

Cause i got a good job, if I were to become un-employed i will be leaving.. Probably north Ga..

Other notes:

I would not "move here" first, Try vacationing for 6mos or so.. If you can, if you base your stay on 1 week you may be in for a disappointment, The End of Sep-Mid OCt is the nicest time here..

If your coming here becuase of a "Job" Make sure your possitive that company is gonna be around for the next 5 yrs, and it pays well, then all the "Bad" things can be overlooked..

But all in all, i kinda like it here.. Friends, Good Job..

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
Florida sucks eh?

btw..

<--- Northerner...

sure, no salt on the roads to cause rust.. just too much damn rain water to cause rust!!!!

when you get to orlando, give me a shout.. couple of us live around here..

the local Immigration office is near the airport.. but.. i tend to avoid that area..

and no, not a lot of cubans in orlando, mostly puerto ricans... and a bunch of mexican types.. :zwall:
oh... and since there is no emissions testing?? a LOT of honda's with wings, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc fart cannons galore...

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Also, remember the Florida temperature gauge:

>95: hot
85-95: warm
75-84: cool, feels good
65-74: getting kinda chilly
55-64: COLD
<55: Hell just froze over!

Most of our time here in Florida is spent in the top two brackets. I'm sure in Canada most of your time is in the bottom two. Also like WkStill said the humidity is nasty down here, i.e. 95% is a relatively non-humid day, 100% is pretty normal, and >100% isn't all that rare. ;)

Everything that he said is correct, and I still love it here. It's my opinion that though traffic sucks in Orlando, it is worse in Tampa where WkStill is and worse still in Miami. I don't think that there is anywhere else that I would rather be. If I had to be anywhere else, it would be either Atlanta (my ol' hometown) or Birmingham. Orlando is fantastic though.

If you are in the tech industry, Orlando (or anywhere on the tech corridor of Florida, Tampa up I-4 to the Cape) ain't a bad place to be. The economy is as everyone knows a bit rough right now, but things are coming back up and this area is doing fairly well.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys are a bunch of Cards.. seriously :)

Well what was it like down there of Oct 17th to 21st?? I didn't mind that at all, 'CEPT when i went to Miami.. YIKES the humity SUCKED there.. :( and PBF ??

Also for the 2.5 days i had a a rental car on my last (and first) trip down to there.. Least back and forth between down town Disney, Universal City walk, ect.. from I27 and I192 Interchange i thought wasn't bad at all.. and even heading up to Jacksonville in the middle of the day wasn't too bad.. Maybe in the middle of rush hour may be totally different.. But i felt safer downt here, then up here :) and turnsignals?? I do not use them up here... in what name do yah think i'll use them down there ;) since the same thing happens here.. You turn on your turn signal to change lanes.. forget it.. you have to FORCE your way in.. just like trying to turn onto a road...

Rain i can deal with.. that's like a 9 out of 12 month thing up here.. there's like 1 month of sun.. the other 2 is just overcast :rolleyes: HECK it was like below 30F this morn when i left for work... so I would LOVE the heat at this time :) I amit i hated the Humity when i was there, but i got use to it around the orlando area for that time... and i think i've foudn a ncie girl down there already.. But we'll see (main reason like i said of heading down again) even thou she said she'll move up to here... but she at her `dream job' so like yah... and Me building Repica Porsches is just a job?? we may not have the warmth of Floirda, but we got free medical <G> and least like in Tourist central (Orlando) where you can pay $1US for a can of pop, the same can is only $1cdn here :) OH and we get so many different flovours of Potato chips (here those are evil down there ;) )

and yah.. The airport area is a place i aviod untill i need to go to leave.. at like $1.25 just to go like what? 2 miles?? OUCH!!!.. least the florida Turnpike was more worth it coming back from Miami..

But we'll see. i'm not truely ready to move down there.. i want to move someplace else for a change thou.. I like the whole `traveling' thing.. And i personally been wanting to move to Australia since i Graduated.. but G/Fs and such just get in the way of it..

Insurance for me is like $2000cdn/year for just the basics (1 Mill Liabil, ect) and that's with like 15% off (can go to 43% after like 8 years)

and Conditions as of NOW (6:33pm) 35.5Degrees F at 85% humity

But i think i'm gonna talk the girl to come up here for a week and see what it's like.. :rolleyes:

Also learnt the best thing the best way down there is by marriage (yikes) so like that'll happen..

and yah.. more closer to the date I'll Poll some #'s and maybe call some of you up and have like a mini meet or something, saddly minus my cougie, But still be cool to check some other mn12's (See enough up here thou)

so like Yah... thanks for the info, The luaghs and such folks :)

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well DOH!!! (smacks head)
Okay.. PBF.. yah i had a feeling it wouldn't have had the full name.. but i did look up some Places in the yellow pages when i was down there :) and it was like `WOO these guys are here?!? I never knew that' when i was just trying to see what kinda `proformance' stores were in the orlando area...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts