TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Woot! :headbang:

Average speed across the country was over 98mph and they did it in 28:50:28. The old record, set in 2006, was 31 hours 4 minutes.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/31/us/new-york-los-angeles-cannonball-speed-record/

More on the record setting run here: http://jalopnik.com/meet-the-guy-who-drove-across-the-u-s-in-a-record-28-h-1454092837

I spotted this story over at SCCoA where there's already an interesting discussion about it ongoing.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132006

·
Super Moderator
7,484 Posts
I posted it there and not here due to the rules about no street racing, I figured it would be frowned upon, but since a moderator posted it, I guess we're good!

I for one find it very impressive. Since hearing about Alex Roy's record, trying to beat it has been on my bucket list. I thought I might stand a chance of beating that, but I think this record will stand for a long time. But then again, records are made to be broken, so we'll see.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
So who wants to be the first mn-12 owner to run in the cannonball?? lol

·
Super Moderator
7,484 Posts
I want to be, no question about that, but the record is becoming harder and harder to beat. My own personal long-distance record was from Savannah GA to my home in NJ, in 9h46m, which at just over 800mi was an average speed of 82mph. To break this record would basically mean averaging at least 15mph faster than that, and sustaining it for 3.5 times the distance. That would be EXTREMELY difficult, and as much as I would like to do it, I really am not sure that I am up to the task. One thing I will say that bothers me, I kind of feel like the record for crossing the US SHOULD be held by an american car, and with the exception of the first run by Brock Yates in a Dodge van, no american car has ever held the record.

·
Is something burning?..
712 Posts
28 hr street race...lol Holy crap. I cant even sit through an endurance race on forza...:tongue:
Just play Forza 3, and just hire a driver xD

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I want to be, no question about that, but the record is becoming harder and harder to beat. My own personal long-distance record was from Savannah GA to my home in NJ, in 9h46m, which at just over 800mi was an average speed of 82mph. To break this record would basically mean averaging at least 15mph faster than that, and sustaining it for 3.5 times the distance. That would be EXTREMELY difficult, and as much as I would like to do it, I really am not sure that I am up to the task. One thing I will say that bothers me, I kind of feel like the record for crossing the US SHOULD be held by an american car, and with the exception of the first run by Brock Yates in a Dodge van, no american car has ever held the record.
That's kinda sad lol. Although driving at 130 mph in my moms 2012 335is Beamer vs. an 02 mustang, 04 vette, 66 cobra, and 118ish in a thunderbird the Beamer wins by a land slide as far as comfort and stability. I'm thinking only a vette would be considered although if it's not getting good mpgs at 90mph+ then it's out. Wonder if the new SHO would be a good choice...

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I'd so do it if it meant that I wouldn't get pulled over and ticketed and/or arrested. With my current driving record, they'd throw my butt in jail at record breaking speeds! lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
I thought my record wasn't bad 55 hors from Baltimore md.to phoenix az..... sorry to say this but was in a Camaro....by the way go no speeding tickets but compared to the new record mine is slow as hell

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'd so do it if it meant that I wouldn't get pulled over and ticketed and/or arrested. With my current driving record, they'd throw my butt in jail at record breaking speeds! lol
Just stay out of Ohio and you should be okay!

·
Super Moderator
7,484 Posts
Well it has been broken again!

·
Super Moderator
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Erwin, Brock and Steve would be proud!

·
Super Moderator
10,371 Posts
That's awesome; I'd love to try that sometime, in an MN12, of course. :)

My personal best was 60 miles to work in ~30 minutes, during the 08 recession.

·
Super Moderator
7,484 Posts
My personal best short run was home from my cousin's house, which is about 25 miles, mostly on 2-lane county roads with a 40mph speed limit in 17 minutes. My best long-distance one was Savannah GA back home to NJ, which is just over 800 miles, in 9h47m. I would love to make the run one day, but I no longer have much hope that I could come close to beating the record. When Alex Roy did it in 06, I thought I stood a chance of beating it if I tried. When Ed did it in 13, I thought it could probably be beat one day, but not by me. Now that they shaved an hour and a half off that time, I'm tapped out for sure.

·
Super Moderator
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, they must have mapped a hell of a route to get around cops and traffic. My personal best ... I honestly can't remember the time but it was a Sunday run from Northern Ohio back home to NC back in the 1990's ... in a time before the Interstate gridlock that the country has today.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts