TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,018 Posts
Dude, if we all get laid off, let's see if we can beat this. :)

We need lookalike cars to enhance the fun factor. :D

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Agreed. Its not about the destinations, and there is nothing fun about flying cross country whatsoever. I find the Cannonball a far more interesting race than any sanctioned circuit race. Same reason I just don't care to own a Tesla, no chance to set a Cannonball record with one ;)

I just wish it wasnt such a jetset rich boy challenge, its like the highly illegal American version of climbing Mt. Everest.
So what's so appealing about driving balls out for such a sustained amount of time? Even with 2-3 co-drivers, mistakes can and will be made over that kind of distance and under that kind of stress. Whether or not anyone else is hurt is TBD. To me, the risk seems to not be inline with the potential reward; maybe that's why a Cannonball run (or even the poser Gumball Rallies) aren't very appealing to me.

As an endurance race, I think something like the Dakar Rally or Rallye du Maroc are appealing as "next-level" projects after racing in Baja. Dakar through Saudi Arabia is 5K of driving, 3K of which is racing.
There are times you can go balls out but you are really only risking your own neck.

If top speed is your bag, why not the Silver State Challenge (90-120 miles of closed, 2 lane Hwy in Nevada) or Bonneville (down the salt flats). Both are relatively affordable and you can even race with your tbirds if so desired.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,839 Posts
Rebellion, glory and the pioneer spirit I suppose. Along with the additional challenge of strategizing routes and overcoming the unexpected. To each their own, track racing was never my thing, it’s either going round and round in circles or straight lines, I don’t even like racing video games. Road rallys are the best, but are few and far between(Targa Newfoundland is on my bucket list). Salt flats? I’m not running the most rust prone car of the 1990s through salt! It’s a miracle always it survived Chicago salt for so many years! lol And given the couple thousand mile distance it is for me to reach Bonneville I may as well double back to NY and Cannonball to get there 😇

·
Super Moderator
7,735 Posts
For all the times it has been done, Cannonball actually has a very good track record of safety. There have only been a handful of minor crashes, with no injuries or fatalities since it’s inception in the 70’s, and all of those happened during the early officially sanctioned ones. None of the modern attempts have resulted in any accidents. I’m not saying that it can never happen, and certainly as the speeds get higher the risk goes up, but then the cars are far more capable than they used to be too, and in a situation like that, everyone in the car is going to be hyper focused, so I’m going to say the jury is still out on the actual risk of attempting a cannonball.

As for the reward, the only 2 people who ever got any tangible reward from it were Ed Bolian and Richard Rawlings. Rawlings made a $50k bet that he could do it in under 32:06, and Bolian went from being some unknown sales manager at a Lamborghini dealership (not a bad job mind you) to having enough fame from this to be able to now live a nice life from talking about it on YouTube. Everyone else who has done it has gained nothing from it, so with no reward it clearly can’t be worth the risk. But as someone who has done endurance racing, and also driven long distances while trying to make as good time as possible, they are two very different experiences, and the one is not a substitute for the other.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Right now is definitely the time to do The Canon Ball Run. There's hardly any traffic out these days which means that a contender's average speed will be higher.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Rebellion, glory and the pioneer spirit I suppose. Along with the additional challenge of strategizing routes and overcoming the unexpected. To each their own, track racing was never my thing, it’s either going round and round in circles or straight lines, I don’t even like racing video games. Road rallys are the best, but are few and far between(Targa Newfoundland is on my bucket list). Salt flats? I’m not running the most rust prone car of the 1990s through salt! It’s a miracle always it survived Chicago salt for so many years! lol And given the couple thousand mile distance it is for me to reach Bonneville I may as well double back to NY and Cannonball to get there 😇
You like long rallies? They do a summer AND winter versions. I'm not begrudging anyone who wants to exceed the speed limit but doing it in the far north will exposure more moose to danger than people.

Or, there's the Autobahn's unlimited speed sections and several auto mfgs do european delivery.

Mike - you know as well as I that after 90minutes or so, it's hard to keep the same level of concentration in a stressful track environment. Going 100+ MPH sustained will give you similar levels of stress. Even divided among 3-4 drivers, doing that for 6-9 hours each is just silly.

C&D said it best - some things like Cannonball Runs, esp in the 21st century, make no damn sense.
The speed differential on a US Hwy where someone will be pushing 150MPH next to traffic that would be doing 55MPH is nuts.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,839 Posts
Have you ever driven cross country? I’ve done 85-90mph sustained for 10 hours on multiple roadtrips. Its not a track environment, It’s a long flat straight line, not a circular track with chicanes and tight sweepers every 4 seconds to fatigue your muscles and concentration, and traffic is sparse outside the population centers on the interstates. The innocent family in the minivan they try to tug at your heartstrings with is doing the same thing btw, cranking it out at 20-25mph above the posted limit to “make great time”.

Car and Driver is still around, eh? Considering 7/8ths of that rag is filled with ads I don’t feel the slightest bit immature calling them corporate schill sell outs. Might lose them if they promote an illegal activity they invented!

·
Super Moderator
7,735 Posts
Mike - you know as well as I that after 90minutes or so, it's hard to keep the same level of concentration in a stressful track environment. Going 100+ MPH sustained will give you similar levels of stress. Even divided among 3-4 drivers, doing that for 6-9 hours each is just silly.
I know people say that, but I don't know that from first hand experience. Maybe I'm different from most people, but driving fast is quite exhilarating to me, and I rarely get tired or distracted when doing it. The last lemons race I did with my car, one of my driver's had to leave after Saturday, and the other had lost interest in driving by that point, so I raced 6 straight hours only stopping for fuel, and guzzling down water while the tank was filling. While I was physically exhausted afterwards, and my arms were sore for the following 2 days, I never lost concentration and my lap times didn't slow down until the tires started losing grip from being beat on so hard all weekend (about the last hour).

I also know from the long distance drives that I have done that it takes a lot longer than 90 minutes for me to tire out. Last year after the epic drive, I did 800 miles from Savannah GA back to NJ. I was slowed down by traffic and construction on I-95, and also by the knowledge that anything over 80mph in VA is a felony, so it took me just shy of 11 hours, but when I wasn't stuck in traffic or construction, and when I was not in VA, I was cruising at 90-100 the whole way. I left GA at noon, and when I got home, I was significantly less tired than I would have been by 11pm on a normal workday.

The longest distance drive I have ever done was from NJ to WI and back pretty much non-stop. Now I was 19 years old at the time, so I'm sure my stamina has diminished, but that was 1,800 miles and 27 hours of straight driving leaving on a Friday evening after work, and getting back late Saturday night, and it wasn't until around 4pm on Saturday evening that I started to lose concentration. In my early 20s I would routinely make the drive between NC and NJ for the weekend, which was 600 miles, and my record time for that was about 8.5hrs, again leaving after work on a Friday evening, and there was only one time when I really started to get tired on that drive.

So in short, given plenty of prep time, proper nutrition and caffeine modulation, 2 drivers to switch off plus a 3rd person for various other support, and a comfortable vehicle designed for cruising at triple digit speeds, I don't doubt that it can be done safely, and Cannonball's track record seems to support that.

·
Super Moderator
12,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I was reading this morning that they were able to break the record with the benefit of the current COVID-19 national lock down.

Traffic in large US cities is down 90%, traffic everywhere else is down 50%. They essentially had the roads to themselves. The US highways / interstates have essentially become autobahns.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
The only long distance trip I can say that I did quickly was from my parents' house in SoCal (91761) to my aunt's house in the French Camp area of Stockton, CA. It was NYE and I'd gotten off work at 7:45. I was home at 8pm and gone by 8:15pm. I made it to my aunt's house by 11:45pm. One stop was made over by the Magic Mountain area for food (drive thru) and gas. The rest of the time I was just hauling a$$ :)

·
Super Moderator
12,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
I've made several fast trips from NC to Ohio over the years but I don't remember the details. That was a long, long time ago. But, yeah, like Mikey said, VA is a communist state when it comes to speeding. I've been stopped and ticketed there more than any other state in the union other than my home state.

Here's my ticket count from 33 years of driving:

VA: 2 One for speeding, One for tint. Yeah, tint. Those communist motherfuckers stopped me twice for TINT! Once on the way to Carlisle and again on the way home to NC. I showed the trooper the ticket from the trip up - written just three days before - and he said ok, get it fixed and let me go.
NC: 3
AZ: 1 - I earned this one in Cochise County - Tombstone, AZ. I'm actually pretty proud of this one. The Sheriff's deputy that stopped me was actually pretty cool. He gave me quite a "discount" on my speed. ;) Anyway, it's a great Tombstone souvenir.
AL: 1
PA: 1

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Here's my ticket count from 33 years of driving:
The things you learn about people with casual conversation. You've been driving for 3 years less than I've been alive, lol.

I'm going to guess you're at least 48.

·
Super Moderator
12,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Close enough. ;)

I also got stopped while I was in the Dominican Republic last summer. Not for speeding, although I was tearing it up down there!, but for a wrong turn in Santo Domingo. They gave up trying to cite me because of the language barrier. LOL

The traffic in Santo Domingo is crazy but I saw very few accidents. Everyone was pretty considerate even though traffic was crazy close together and some of the streets are crazy narrow. The biggest hazards were all the mopeds that would slalom through traffic and split the lanes. We called them mosquitoes because they would buzz around your car like one. It was a blast driving around down there.

·
The Parts Guy
7,369 Posts
If top speed is your bag, why not the Silver State Challenge (90-120 miles of closed, 2 lane Hwy in Nevada) or Bonneville (down the salt flats). Both are relatively affordable and you can even race with your tbirds if so desired.

Bonneville is one hell of an experience. I'd love to go back.

·
Super Moderator
12,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
131 ?? pfft. I did 138 in a rental car at an undisclosed location in south Kansas*. Lol

But yeah, driving REALLY fast is a blast ... and really dangerous!

*Professional driver, closed course, bla, bla, bla.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
The Parts Guy
7,369 Posts
131 ?? pfft. I did 138 in a rental car at an undisclosed location in south Kansas*. Lol

But yeah, driving REALLY fast is a blast ... and really dangerous!

*Professional driver, closed course, bla, bla, bla.
I've been plenty faster on pavement, too. This was NOT on the course at Bonneville. This was on the natural surface, which is like driving on severely potholed ice. It was flat out scary at 80 MPH, but my coworker kept egging me on to make another pass and another pass (he wasn't in the car). Driving out there, you have no sensation of how quick you're going, and as loose as the car is on that surface, you can't look down at the speedo, so you stay in it until your desire to live reigns in your right foot. That day was one of my top five best days on this earth.

BTW, if you decide to fly home with some salt from Bonneville as a memento, be prepared to take a detour with the airport security. ;)

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,649 Posts
BTW, if you decide to fly home with some salt from Bonneville as a memento, be prepared to take a detour with the airport security. ;)
Not if I'm your pilot. :cool:

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
1) We are all guilty of driving at least once at "excessive" extra-legal speeds. No condemnation there. My experience was when I first moved from TX to CA and drove my Audi with my friend. I asked a lady at the gas station one morning in far west texas how fast can I really drive? She said "it doesn't matter right now, the deputy on duty is having his breakfast over there. Just don't wreck." I quickly paid and left. We didn't drop below 100 until we hit the next county (I think most of it was 120-130 depending on visibility) and most of that was well above that. It only lasted 20-30 min though before we came down to a more "reasonable" 80MPH.

2) TIL that MadMikey is an endurance driving machine and racecougar has done Bonneville in what looks to be a Dodge product. I'm jealous. While I'm fortunate enough not to be worried about things economically right now (my 401K losses are still paper losses and I'm still employed), it'd be hard to justify a Bonneville Speed Week campaign in 2020 or even 2021 right now.

3) As far as tickets are concerned, I discovered the ultimate vehicular camouflage in the Bay Area: white Prius. It doesn't matter what you do in one of these things -- no one sees them. If this whole engineering thing doesn't work out and i need to turn to being a hitman to pay the bills, I'm keeping this car as my work vehicle.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
21 - 40 of 74 Posts