TCCoA Forums banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Interesting that they were able to go faster this time around with more traffic out now than when the last record was broken just a few weeks ago.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,791 Posts
I presume the start and end points are probably the biggest traffic hangups, and afaik New York and LA are still pretty locked down. Even pre covid blasting through Kansas or Nebraska type places at high speed is a breeze.

I’m not anti-cannonball but I’m tired of boring German luxury sedans shattering records

·
Super Moderator
7,722 Posts
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I think it is a shame that throughout all the history of cannonball, with the exception of Brock Yates’ test run in a Dodge van, the record has never been held by an American car. Hopefully this sub-26hr time was done in a vette or hellcat.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I presume the start and end points are probably the biggest traffic hangups, and afaik New York and LA are still pretty locked down.
I swear, I'm a tourist in my own state. I'm about 2hrs east of Los Angeles and I rarely venture any further west than the Baldwin Park and La Puente areas as I've got family in those areas I visit (pre-covid / post covid). Whenever I do go to LA for whatever reason, I'm just as bad a tourist as those people on tour buses :p .

Anyway, I'd like to vouch for how busy / not busy LA streets and freeways are, but I can't. However, I can say that the freeways I do frequent have been getting slightly busier over the last few weeks.

·
Super Moderator
17,791 Posts
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I think it is a shame that throughout all the history of cannonball, with the exception of Brock Yates’ test run in a Dodge van, the record has never been held by an American car. Hopefully this sub-26hr time was done in a vette or hellcat.
I think a Caddy won and held the record one year too.

I swear, I'm a tourist in my own state. I'm about 2hrs east of Los Angeles and I rarely venture any further west than the Baldwin Park and La Puente areas as I've got family in those areas I visit (pre-covid / post covid). Whenever I do go to LA for whatever reason, I'm just as bad a tourist as those people on tour buses :p .

Anyway, I'd like to vouch for how busy / not busy LA streets and freeways are, but I can't. However, I can say that the freeways I do frequent have been getting slightly busier over the last few weeks.
Yeah I’m just guessing. The one time I was out there I just remember it seeming like endless population between the coast (Redondo beach is the end point) and the outskirts on the freeways, so I imagine you could blast through the middle country at record pace but if you hit traffic in that region, say goodbye to hours! I’ve never been to New York but I imagine it’s similar, generally there are routes that can be taken where you can avoid going through cities in between.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
OK; so who has the best MN12 that can handle sustained high speeds for 30 hours?
:)

We would need to identify a route, and find spotters who could check out the critical areas before we pass thru that area.

We need Comms, and a backroom team(s) that watch the traffic maps online, tracks our position, predicts slowdowns in our path, and can gather all available online info and or bulletins about our activities.

A friend in a TLA would be handy for access to those "BOLO" police bulletins. :)

We start hearing those, we park the car somewhere in a friendly barn, fly home, and reclaim the car after all the hubbub dies down, lol.

A rear end swap and big tires would help too.

What other things can you think of that's we'd need?
Treat this as a thought experiment, and that jail isn't actually possible. :D

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Well, if we go Full Pinto, we could turn the whole trunk into a fuel tank.

I measured it once for a speaker box (it's too big), it's big enough to hold a good 80 gallons. :)

The rear end is high enough that for highway use only, we could probably install an auxiliary tank under the trunk, after removing the spare tire well.
We can Conti a minispare to the trunk, lol.

Take that, weight balance!!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
For safety reasons, maybe have it be a large Kevlar bag for auxiliary fuel tank?

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
If there's 80 gallons of fuel in the trunk, I'm thinking "Safety" isn't one of your hangups, lol.

Note the "Full Pinto" comment above, lol.

:)

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
It got broke again. Solo driver record under 26hrs. This time in a S550 Mustang!

It's a speculative record though as it's not entirely verifiable.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I wish i would have kept my 2.73 rears if you guys are trying to talk me into this now. I don't remember exactly, but think 100 mph or so was maybe just above 2000 rpm when I let out of the gas and it shifted back to OD. That's a reasonable rpm knowing that's around the speed you need to cruise above.

And really you don't need crazy hp, just enough torque to hold that rpm in OD. Cooling the trans is a big one but certainly getting airflow at those speeds to assist with cooling in general is a good thing. Decent radiator and fans and that should be easy enough.

I think an MN12 can do this. Fuel and law enforcement seem to be the biggest obstacles.

And no, I don't have the cajones to try this.

·
Super Moderator
17,791 Posts
Fans do nothing at highway speed, the electric fan is off above a certain mph. At those speeds the airflow you are pushing through is far greater than the fan can pull.

A stock MN12 couldn’t do it with the last record holder holding a 106mph average (speed limiter kicks in around there) but I do agree a much more modest car could pull this off than what we’ve been seeing. Audi’s keep winning because rich manchildren buy Audis. Frankly you could probably get a modern minivan to set the record, many now have near 300 horsepower, are very aerodynamic and you could fill them stem to stern with fuel tanks. Brock was onto something with the TransCon Medivac

·
Super Moderator
7,722 Posts
I would love to see what an MN12 can do, as well as what I could do, but any expectation of beating any of the records has been gone for some time now. Personally, I’d consider it a major accomplishment to do a sub-30hr time. As for prepping an MN12 for it, I think the cheapest way out would be a 302 with a good top end, M5R2 swap, and some 2.26 gears. That would put 3000rpms at 135mph.

Reactions: Zep5.0

·
Registered
2,912 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Wow!

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Unbelievable.
Fans do nothing at highway speed, the electric fan is off above a certain mph. At those speeds the airflow you are pushing through is far greater than the fan can pull.

A stock MN12 couldn’t do it with the last record holder holding a 106mph average (speed limiter kicks in around there) but I do agree a much more modest car could pull this off than what we’ve been seeing. Audi’s keep winning because rich manchildren buy Audis. Frankly you could probably get a modern minivan to set the record, many now have near 300 horsepower, are very aerodynamic and you could fill them stem to stern with fuel tanks. Brock was onto something with the TransCon Medivac
"Rich manchildren". I totally get that part and am not going to argue with this analysis.

FWIW, I think the main issue is fuel economy AND stability at speed. An Audi @ 110MPH is not at the edge of its design envelope. A tbird running at that speed for 30hrs might have more of a challenge (also, you'd have to overhaul a bunch of the car to make sure that some 25yr old rubber bit isn't going to let go while you are at speed.

2904mi = call it 3000 to be safe.

The mustang carried 130-146 gallons of fuel (some say it carried an extra 130 gallons in addition to the stock 16, others say 130gallons total ) and required a single stop and the pics look like it was pretty much all gas tank

This article mentions carrying 187 gallons in a crown vic and did it non-stop. It was a ford galaxie so it probably had a N/A V8

What large vehicle with a turbo (for efficiency) could fit 190 gallons of fuel adequately AND cruise > 115MPH for 24 hours? 190 x 6.6 = 1,297LB + the auxilliary tanks.

A minivan could hold the capacity but I would be worried about fuel efficiency with that much air being displaced.
A station wagon would be more efficient. Maybe a WRX or Outback (lowered)? AWD would hurt fuel efficiency though even if the 4cyl turbo might help. The RPMs you'd have to spin might not make that efficient.
Maybe a one of those old magnum wagons?

I honestly think the Mustang GT was an inspired choice.
-g

·
Super Moderator
17,791 Posts
I wouldn’t run a MN12 in this to set a record, I firmly believe the cannonball run is a young car’s game, not for old hot rods, it’s about exploiting the latest technology to accomplish a feat, which is why Car & Driver put it together back then. I just think Audi’s are way over represented of newer vehicles. I agree a wagon would be even better

41 - 60 of 74 Posts