TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm about to get a 99 Ford Explorer and I wasn't going to trade my car in, (a 96 Ford Thunderbird) but now I'm thinking it might be the more practical thing to do instead of what I want to do, which is keep it and fix it a little at a time. I love Tbirds, I've had 4 cars and all of them Tbirds. If my car didn't need as much work as it does, I wouldn't even be thinking about trading it. As of right now, it needs cats, it's leaking oil in 5 spots, brakes and front end work...oh and it has about 150,500 miles on it. The body and interior is in awesome condition. I've got a system in it, chrome rims. full sunroof and really the only other cosmetic stuff I want to do to it is add a rear spoiler, fresh paint job and tint the windows. I want to keep it as a 'project' car but I'm not a mechanic and I'm not currently dating one so I would have to pay someone to do the work which will be costly. So, if you were in my position....would you trade it or keep it?

My hearts saying keep it but my head is telling me to trade, it just makes more sense. Ahhhhh, I just don't know!

P.S. just a side note....when I was at the dealership and I told him I was interested in the Explorer the guy goes "well 4 doors really come in handy when you have kids" lol, I laughed and said "oh no, I don't have kids but I do like to shop a lot and need the extra space!" the look was priceless.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Sweetness, you must be doing some serious shopping if you can't get it all in the bird. :rofl: Well, I think you've gotta ask yourself one thing. Would you rather have your bird or the lousy amount of cash they're probably gonna try to allow you for it. If it's enough to make it not worth having the car anymore then I'd say do it. If not then keep it. :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5.0 bird said:
Sweetness, you must be doing some serious shopping if you can't get it all in the bird. :rofl: Well, I think you've gotta ask yourself one thing. Would you rather have your bird or the lousy amount of cash they're probably gonna try to allow you for it. If it's enough to make it not worth having the car anymore then I'd say do it. If not then keep it. :)

I do! I can't fit anything in the trunk with my box and subs in there...plus I'm always buying some type of 'build it yourself' furniture. lol

I was thinking about that too...they'll probably give me $1500 - $2000 for it and that's around how much it would cost me just to fix it, not fix it up. Plus, I love seeing a nice Cougar or Thunderbird driving down the road....I'm so sick of seeing the norm...Mustangs, Civics, some over priced car....I wanna have a hot Tbird and people go "wow, that's nice...what kind of car is that again?" that's the best.

Thanks for your comment/advise 5.0 bird :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
sweetness45oh said:
...I was thinking about that too...they'll probably give me $1500 - $2000 for it...
If you trade your car in to a dealer you will always lose. They may tell you that they are giving you 2K for it but they will get it back somehow. If you want to get rid of it sell it yourself.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I say keep the Bird as a fun car. Like ya said there is something about these cars, the Cat leaks oil and PS fluid and the odometer is gonna hit 360,000 this weekend but I still wont get rid of it, when I finish school Im gettin another truck and the Cougar is getting a major overhaul. I think having a nice Cat/Bird is way better than any riced out civic or rich boy toys.

Besides, if you just go out what do ya wanna be, look like the snobby soccer mom in the SUV or that girl in the T-Bird

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
keep it.

you wont get enough money from the dealership to justify losing the car....

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
What was said about the dealers "getting it back" is true somewhat.

If they offer you what seems like a fair (or even great) price on your trade, you can bet they are making enough off of what you are buying to make up for it. Now this isn't always bad. Some dealers do it to make it easier for you to get a loan. If the bank/loan company sees that you are putting XXX down (in the form of the trade) they are more likely to give a loan than if you are putting less "down". Weird huh.

Anyway, you will definitely lose money on a trade in. If you do trade it in, make sure you know what it is worth before you go in and make sure that is how much you get. Its also a good idea to let them believe you are buying outright before they find out you are trading in a car. (its amazing how that can affect how much they have in the car they are selling you!)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
lol, im a mechanic, only not really, i just work at advance auto parts...

so if your needing parts;)

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
teresa, keep it. if you need help with repairs, charm some of the nj boys into helping you out, and repay them with some dinner. if you lived in texas...well, you know :)

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
hey i live in NJ, but im not a mechanic lol.

oh well. good luck with whatever you do with it.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
sweetness45oh said:
Yea, I think I'm leaning more an more to just keeping it. Where there's a will there's a way....(now if I could only find a mechanic name Will...) ;)
Hi, I'm Will.... :rofl: ;) :rofl:

As someone who has usually owned a small "fleet" of vehicles, I feel your pain in making a decision like this. (I just went through one like it in deciding to repair or part out my 94!! :bawling: )

Here’s just my .02:

Having too many vehicles, all of which have “pending upgrades/projects”, makes you get spread too thin. After years of having a car for this, a truck for that, a toy to play around with, etc., etc, etc. I’ve decided to limit myself to the necessities:

A truck for obvious reasons
A daily driver that gets good gas mileage and is reliable transportation
A car for trips/vacations and dates (like I ever use it for that… :bawling: )
And a show/performance/”fun” car

That way time and money can be spent on just a few cars that you will get a lot more satisfaction upon completing set projects and goals.

But that’s just my .02… and did I mention my name is Will…Not really :rofl: :rofl:

Sadly, all my current cars still have pending projects!!! :bawling:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I won't lie to you,my name is will and im a mechanic........ok I lied my name isnt will and im not exactly what you would call a mechanic. but id keep the bird,they are right you never get that great of a deal with dealers even if they say you do and you being a girl they probaly will jerk you around more(no afence) last time i bought a new-to me- truck i got them to drop the price by 2k but i was smart and signed the extended warrenty and jumped the price back up to about 2k or so:zbash:eek:r we could do a trade:D you nurture me and comfort me with this cold and i'll work on your car:)....o snaps we are to far away alwell.
anyway what im getting at is keep the bird.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok i'm keeping it. i might as well...i've poured my heart (and my money) into it so there's no way i'll get half of what would be consider 'worth it'. besides, i really would be upset seeing someone else driving my car down the road!

and to all the Will's (or wannabe Wills) thanks so much, lol, you guys are crazy!:rofl:

i think i'm just gonna have to learn how to work on cars....

(Teresa knows:)
how to change wiper blades, fuses, bulbs, air filters and lets not forget about knowing where the dipsticks are and how to 'read' them

so far I'm off to a good start.....right??:D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts