TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished installing a shift kit on my 95 lx. i refilled with mercon 5 and after running it through the gears a couple times, thinking it was going to be warm, added a quart to bring it up to the hot mark on the stick. After taking it for a little ride (the car shifts great) i rechecked the fluid and relized i had over filled it by about a half quart. I pulled the line to my aux cooler and started the engine... and NOTHING came out. I reved. I went through the gears i tried everything. My aux cooler is spliced into the return line of the main cooler. Does fluid not flow there until the tranny heats up?? i thought it did all the time. please help me out because this is really bothering me. The dipstick was not real hot when i checked it. THANKS a lot

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Maybe your stock cooler is blocked? Have you tried draining from the bottom feed line? The one from the transmission to the cooler? And if you just did the shift kit, why didn't you put in a deep sump pan with a drain plug?

·
Registered
286 Posts
IIRC the ATF to the cooler is the overflow from the TC, and should flow any time the engine's running. Check the plumbing - output to the cooler is the lower fitting on the trans, return line is the upper fitting.

You don't want to be running with no flow here - when not in lockup, the tranny can generate a fair amount of heat that will do damage if not disposed of.

If there is any crud in the cooler circuit, be sure to install the Ford filter kit - the cooler return flow goes on to lube the gears and clutches.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Thats why I suggested he undo the bottom line and try seeing if it'll pump out there. That'll tell you if the stock cooler is plugged, and if it still doesn't flow, well then, you might consider dropping the pan and checking the filter... Also, be sure to rev it a little when its off to make sure the tranny pump is activated...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts