TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a massive clanking noise up front when I go over bumps. It sounds like the sway bar is flopping around. So I checked the end links and the bushings on them are almost none existent. So I bought new ones and went to put em on but cant get the old ones out. I got both bolts off but the links themselves won't budge. I tried prying em and banging em. But I was just wondering if any one had some experience and tips. Thanks for your time.

·
Administrator
8,243 Posts
I just did mine, the spindle side I just knocked out with a hammer. The sway bar side needed more help, I used this. Popped it right out!

Joe

·
Registered
42 Posts
I couldn't get the bottom of the passenger side one out after much hammering - hit it with a torch for about a minute, and it slid out with the first tap of the hammer.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I used a pickle fork. Although it didn't really separate anything i used it to pry the end link out. And when it is out your gonna want to have a parade for how happy you will be.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I used a pickle fork. Although it didn't really separate anything i used it to pry the end link out. And when it is out your gonna want to have a parade for how happy you will be.
The best tool to have to do this job IMHO. I can change endlinks on the front in about 10 minutes (plus the time to jack up the car/pull the wheels off) - it just makes it so much easier.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Its all I had lol. car was up and parts were off. I used my resources
Thats how I figured to use it :D

The spindle side is usually easily knocked out with a hammer, then if you cut off the rubber boot on the sway bar side, and wedge the pickle fork between the ball part of the endlink with the handle facing the front of the car, you can usually give the handle a few good smacks with a hammer and it usually comes out.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I used a 15lb mini dead blow sledge, it's my best friend for suspension parts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I used the ball joint separator like Joe posted but for ball joints and not pitman arms. Its funny because I actually used a pitman arm puller on my ball joints. I had to be careful while twisting it down because when the thing would finally let loose with a loud bang, the puller would fly across my shop and hit stuff...

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Good thing it did not hit you in the head.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Good thing it did not hit you in the head.
Definitely, mostly it would fly directly to the side at about 50MPH... :tongue:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I dont suppose anyone knows where you can get the boots for these do they? My links are in good shape but the boots are pretty bad. I was thinking at $60 each maybe it would be cheaper to replace the boots if I can find them.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
They are much easier once both sides are loose. Personally I take an air hammer and hit the end link itself until it comes out. A good hit from a ball peen on the knuckle or sway bar helps to loosen it as well.
Alan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts