TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my cable is broke/snapped so i cannot open the hood. does anyone know how to get the hood open. i will be replacing the hood when i do a front end swap this spring/summer, if i mess up the hood its no big deal, i can get one frome the junkyard. i was in an accident in october of 08, so i cannot get anything under where the latch is to pop the hood

erik

·
Registered
49 Posts
well the easiest way I would think is to just get a sawzall or a cutting wheel and just cut around the part of the hood that latches down. Of course this will destroy the hood, where exactly did it snap off from? is there no way to get your hand up there and manually release it? If you get can the front bumper off without opening the hood that might give you easier access.

If you do decide to cut it make sure you are careful when you get to the bottom as to not cut into the radiator support or anything else important.

·
Super Moderator
10,578 Posts
:uppoint:

Dude, if you lay on your back under the front of the car, you can see where the latch is.

Move the lever the cable attaches to with a long screwdriver or something.

It will unlatch. It helps if someone will push down on the hood slightly as you move the slider.

If you have to use a sawzall to open the hood, you fail.

:)

·
Super Moderator
9,246 Posts

Dude, if you lay on your back under the front of the car, you can see where the latch is.

It will unlatch. It helps if someone will push down on the hood slightly as you move the slider.

I was just thinking along those lines, actually, but he mentioned he couldn't get anything under where the latch is because he was in an accident so I neglected mentioning anything.

Maybe if you can fit something in through the front grille and pop it out?

·
Registered
41 Posts

No, no. You have to remove the dash, cut through the firewall, and pull the engine into the driver's compartment so you can get to the hoodlatch unimpeded.

Should take one to two hours, max.

Actually, Grog6 is right, you should be able to access the hood latch cable from underneath the car after you remove the little plastic splashguard from underneath the radiator.

·
Super Moderator
10,578 Posts
he mentioned he couldn't get anything under where the latch is because he was in an accident so I neglected mentioning anything.
Ok, if the front end needs to be cut off anyway, maybe a sawzall is ok... :)

No, no. You have to remove the dash, cut through the firewall, and pull the engine into the driver's compartment so you can get to the hoodlatch unimpeded.
I give this +1 point for being creative, lol :D I got into a trunk that way once to open the trunk latch...at least, it seemed like we started at the firewall; it was a early 70s impala or something with an armor plate behind the seat it called a 'support'... :rolleyes:

The latch may be crushed if there was an accident; cutting it apart may be the only way to get it open. If the hood is straightenable, I'd cut the stuff I had to replace anyway; otherwise the easy way is pretty much what pumml said above, as much as I hate to think of cutting one apart...

·
Registered
28 Posts

+1

This has worked for me in the past. Depending on how attached you are to the car though - the sawzall could be fun. :D

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Maybe we need a new thread: "What have you used a sawzall to fix on your bird?"

My mechanic used a sawzall to cut an adjuster to get a headlight assembly out without wrecking the header. The plastic nut was stripped, and I couldn't turn the damned thing with various vice grips.

Another idea is the "Hacksaw Reynolds" method. Just cut off the entire front end at the firewall with a hacksaw, then replace all worn parts, then weld back together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts