TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Car wont start

Well i got the car all back together, and now it wont start. Ive check and double checked all sensors and plugs are plugged in and in the right spots.(Also had a friend who is a tech at ford stop by and double check w/ a shop manual)

brand new plugs(gap iis at 45(wasnt sure what is suppose to be at from the factory), somewhat new wires(repalced them about 3k before the hg's went, no cracks and look good)

Theres no blown fuses(replaced ever seingle one under the dash/under the hood)

theres fuel getting to the injectors

Theres power going into the "dis" (the thing the plug wires go into..i dont know the name, two wires got 6-8 volts, the other two around .3)

there is no spark

The guy from Ford said I need to replace the DIS box, and pointed to the box thing that the plug wires go into...I'm not sure what its called...and I know it cant be "DIS box".

Can someone please give me some ideas that will help me get this car running? i'm unsure what to do next, and i need to ahve it on the road in around a week.



* "dis box" is the coil...sorry...brain fart :) how can I tell if the coil pack is bad? any way to test it out?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,976 Posts
187bird said:
Well i got the car all back together, and now it wont start. Ive check and double checked all sensors and plugs are plugged in and in the right spots.(Also had a friend who is a tech at ford stop by and double check w/ a shop manual)

brand new plugs(gap iis at 45(wasnt sure what is suppose to be at from the factory), somewhat new wires(repalced them about 3k before the hg's went, no cracks and look good)

Theres no blown fuses(replaced ever seingle one under the dash/under the hood)

theres fuel getting to the injectors

Theres power going into the "dis" (the thing the plug wires go into..i dont know the name, two wires got 6-8 volts, the other two around .3)

there is no spark

The guy from Ford said I need to replace the DIS box, and pointed to the box thing that the plug wires go into...I'm not sure what its called...and I know it cant be "DIS box".

Can someone please give me some ideas that will help me get this car running? i'm unsure what to do next, and i need to ahve it on the road in around a week.



* "dis box" is the coil...sorry...brain fart :) how can I tell if the coil pack is bad? any way to test it out?
replace the coil... when they go bad, it's usually instant. There are no warning signs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Litning said:
replace the coil... when they go bad, it's usually instant. There are no warning signs

It was working fine before though...i'm not sure if that is it for sure or not.(I'm trying to not jsut throw money at it)

I'm worried about one thing...When I put on the rockers, I was told just to torque them down to a set torque. And that I didnt have to turn the car to TDC....is that true? I assume a Compression check could tell if a valve is hanging open? But then again...that shouldnt affect the no spark issue.
 

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
Joined
·
2,261 Posts
187Bird, gap the plugs at .050 to .055.

Did you futz around with the steering column? When I replaced my heater core. we had to pull the column and unplug the harness under the dash. When we put the dash and column back in, we missed one plug and the car would not start.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PCD said:
187Bird, gap the plugs at .050 to .055.

Did you futz around with the steering column? When I replaced my heater core. we had to pull the column and unplug the harness under the dash. When we put the dash and column back in, we missed one plug and the car would not start.

nope, I didnt pull the coulmn, or mess w/ the wiring in the dash...well I put a switch in for the over drive in the center console top...but thats it...and that wont affect the ignition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since there is nothing else that could be wrong, the crank position sensor, and the coil pack...I'l gonna order both and that should fix the problem deffinately. How hard is it to change the crank position sensor, and the sensor is the red 90* elbow with the red/white wire going into the elbow right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just went and got a new Coil pack and crank sensor and put them in. The car started up. Thanks to you guys and the guys on v6power, I got a nice running tbird. Straight header v6 tbird are pretty loud and I got odd looks from the neibors running it down the street w/ headers..lol. But its working great. Now tis time to start performance mods.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top