TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of your favorite routes? Are there any routes near you that you frequent or take when you can?

This drive. This drive right here on Route 243 starts about 2 miles from my home. Google Maps says it's a 36min drive to the town of Idyllwild from the start point I dropped. Once I was familiar enough with the road - and under the right conditions - I'd be able to regularly make the drive in 15min It's been years since I drove that road on the regular, so I know I wouldn't be able to "time attack" it like I used to unless I drove it regularly again. I last drove this road about a year ago, and I don't remember the road quite as well.

Continuing from Idyllwild, it's the backside of 243 heading towards Palm Desert. The first part of the drive from Idyllwild is somewhat intense with the tight corners and blind turns, but once you get out to the flats, it's pretty chill. It's when you begin to approach the Coachella Valley to descend ito Palm Desert that it starts getting harrowing. There are long unprotected swooping turns that people just fly through. As you get closer to Palm Desert, the turns become tighter and "fly off the road" protection becomes a false sense of security as you are able to look down the steep mountain cliffs over the short stubby guard rails.

This road out to a little spit of nowhere California called Aguanga was really fun to drive. I was driving it at least twice a month, sometimes twice a week to my (now former) FIL's property. Google Maps puts the drive at 28min from the start point to end point. Under "proper conditions" I was able to do that part of the drive in roughly 8 minutes faster than Google's "suggested" time.

Crestline, Big Bear, Running Springs, Twin Peaks

These areas of the San Bernardino Mountains aren't something that I normally do much these days. Back in the day with my Mazda RX-8 I'd regularly drive these mountain roads just for fun. I'd push the car as hard as I could and she'd be right at home. These days, I only go up there with the family to visit snow. Though driving the wife's car vs my nimble RX-8 are completely different animals. I've had a FedEx truck pass my in my wife's car driving these mountain roads....馃槗

Glendora Mountain Road or GMR to the locals. There are tons of videos of people eating **** on this road. There are TONS of people more who have eaten **** and it not recorded, myself included. It's where I totaled my RX-8 back in 2006. I have been up to GMR only twice, and in both instances bad **** happened. The first time was me. The second time, it was the guy directly in front of me flipping his car over upside down. It was a hatchback Subaru WRX.....2014 I think? Needless to say, with all the "luck" I've had with GMR each time, I haven't been there since, lol.

Anyway, I'd say GMR is to SoCal as to what Tail of the Dragon is to NC in terms of difficulty and infamousness.

Reactions: Darin10

Registered
I will say one good thing about Cali is the roads. We dont have a lot of roads like that here in Jersey. And the ones we do are fully residential, 25mph zones, and heavily patrolled. Or are heavy traffic roads.

Registered
I might not have as many roads as you but I have two fun ones I like to go to. I like to drive down Mt Lemmon. It isnt that hard but it has sections with lots of s curves. I was able to show my gf what a racing line is in her 2002 C70. Very nimble car. Its probably what made it so easy.

Another one is Reddington, a dirt road. I would go there to go shooting. On my way back I would feel good and floor it a little more than I should. I was sliding the rear of a 2001 Camry through two corners. On the 3rd corner I got a little over confident and understeered into a ditch. I ripped off my bumper and popped both of my front tires. On my way down a big boulder scrapped the side of my car. It taught me a lesson, thats for sure.

I wish I was not on mobile so you could see the corners better.

Super Moderator
I have always liked some portions of LA 157 from Plain Dealing to Springhill LA; it's not much compared to the other lines, but it beats I-49 south of Alexandria (which is about as flat as can be, and twists very VERY little ..)

Plain Dealing LA to Springhill LA - Google Maps for LA 157.

Almost all of it can be taken at 65MPH; there's one curve that just is too much for that speed. For me.

(65MPH in the Cougar or a competent car; my Dakota, ohHELLnaw!!!)

RwP

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
In the days of driving my RX-8 between the hours of midnight and 4am, I would frequently take this freeway interchange at "not 'normal' speeds" :devilish: ;) :cool: :D. I can say that my RX-8 was PLANTED on the ground

Registered

Its good for about an hour and a half unless you stop for some clam chowder at the Boardwalk. Not sure why foster freeze showed up on my phone map 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like a good drive!

Not sure why foster freeze showed up on my phone map 馃
You've probably been there before.

Registered
Looks like a good drive!

You've probably been there before.
Its a little over 60 miles through the mountains .. If I ever get around to mounting this Go pro on the car ... 馃

There is a Foster Freeze much closer to my house on the Los Gatos side of the map. At lease it came up with a delicious suggestion, but i prefer the seafood on the wharf.

Registered

This is my usual route when i go on a drive like that(my favorite thing to do in this car), theres a lot more twists and turns than this map is showing lol bout 15 min away to get to that road

Registered
Yeah the maps do not really show how much fun they can be to actually drive on. One of my favorite drives was up and down the mountain to Lake Tahoe. That was one of the only times I drove it "in the snow".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts