TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my car has been really sluggish especially when i get on the gas. this is usually observed best when the car has warmed up. The check engine light went on two days ago and i rented a obd 2 scanner and got code p0402. I have had this code pop up before and resent the computer and it is back now about 6 months later. Just curious if that code could be causing my car to chug and loose power the acceleration is not smooth at all. Thanks for any input...

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
That code has caused "chugging" with my car in the past, though it was more at idle than acceleration. Were there any other codes? Here's some info from the 1994 PC/ED manual about that code:

HE20 DTC 0402: CHECK FOR EGR FLOW AT IDLE WITH EGR VACUUM HOSE DISCONNECTED

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) 0402 indicates that self-test has detected EGR flow at idle.

NOTE:
If DTC 1405 is in Continuous Memory, diagnose that first starting with «HE50».

Possible Causes:

-- EGR valve stuck open.

-- EVR solenoid vent plugged or iced.

-- EVR circuit shorted to GND.

-- Improper vacuum hose connection.

-- Plugged/pinched EGR vacuum hose.

-- Damaged EVR solenoid.

-- Damaged PCM.

I had that code a while back. I replaced the EGR valve and EVR solenoid. The idle improved, and no more code....part #1 in the following picture is the solenoid.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The chugging is also on take off and going up hills. i can feel it its like the car just doesn't have enough power or something. i was thinking it might be the transmission going south but i don't know what that would feel like it seems to shift alright. i tried putting some fuel injector cleaner in there for the hell of it but that doesn't seem to help any. Ther is only a mild stumble at idle and its only once in a while. could it be the tps sensor going bad?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
You might have bad spark plug wires which are leaking spark, although that would not explain the code. Actually, there are many sensors which could cause a similar problem, but I'm not too knowledgeable about the 4.6, so I will defer to others here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts