TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just started today, the car repeatedly dies and fires right back up while driving. Idles fine in all gears. Only when there is load present does it start to stumble. I have about 4k miles on this new engine and tranny, zero miles when i got it. All the sensors were swapped for new ones when the motor went in.

The car is not drivable in it's current condition and no CEL light. Any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Since ur in california did you smog the car with that engine? Did u use an explorer or stang engine?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wilson502 said:
Since ur in california did you smog the car with that engine? Did u use an explorer or stang engine?
I used an 02 stang engine. When i first tried to smog the vehicle, it passed the sniffer test but failed the visual test. Long story short, the car was red flagged and i was sent to a smog referee. I ended up having to swap heads ( it had PnP heads w/ VT II cams) in order for them to pass it. I've done 5 other PI swaps and have never had a problem with the cars passing a smog test.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Homer said:

I used an 02 stang engine. When i first tried to smog the vehicle, it passed the sniffer test but failed the visual test. Long story short, the car was red flagged and i was sent to a smog referee. I ended up having to swap heads ( it had PnP heads w/ VT II cams) in order for them to pass it. I've done 5 other PI swaps and have never had a problem with the cars passing a smog test.
So, which heads are on it now the stock PI heads? PM me with more info

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Got the car back from the dealership, they refused to service because it didnt' have the original engine.:rolleyes:

EDIT

I should have added that before i took the car into the dealership, i check everything fp, tps, iac, wires, plug gap, chip, eec and grounds. All checked out fine, that's why i took the car in. I figured one of there on board scanners would catch something on a test drive. Since it wasn't throwing a CEL.

J.Miller said:
What are your mods?
As of right now, the only mods are extrude honed exhaust manifolds, cat-back, pulleys, 3.55 trac loc and chip.

wilson502 said:

So, which heads are on it now the stock PI heads? PM me with more info
Yes, stock heads right now. Waiting to get a set of kooks, so that i can redo my exhaust and put the heads back on along with some other goodies.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
so they just wanted to put the stock PI heads back on, and ok'd the PI swap? So a PI swap is legal in cali?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wilson502 said:
so they just wanted to put the stock PI heads back on, and ok'd the PI swap? So a PI swap is legal in cali?

When I was smogging the car I never told them about the swap, they caught the cam because well its noticable and they asked. It was easier for me to swap heads then to do a cam swap, since i had stock heads in the garage.

To have your car completely legalized after a PI swap, you have to go through a smog referee so they can certify it. Read Lonnie posts on smog referees. I got lucky, they checked cats, egr, and told me to lose the cam for it to pass.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
u had the VT cams on it, not the stock PI cams, they probably wouldnt notice a stock PI setup.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I apologize, when they told me to lose the cam, I swapped the heads i had on the car(PnP heads w/ VT II cams) with stock heads and stock cams (stock 02 head)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
ah, i figured as much. They passed u with a stock PI setup, sounds about right. The refree pretty much said a stock PI setup is ok?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Something that just came to mind... which crank sensor did you use. Recheck wiring to it?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After i had the car towed back to my house, i looked over the car again. Again everything checked out fine, took it around the block and the problem was still there. After a few words i went in and made arrangements to have it trailered back to my parents house. Woke up early the next morning to drive it down to the autohauler (its about mile away from my place) and the car ran fine. Took it for a little drive, nothing. So the problem went away, still stumped on what it was(though i do have a theory). Since then i've put about 100 miles on it and its running great.

I got to go through my stuff to find the part number, but i believe the crank sensor we ended up using was for the mustang.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That was actually one of the first things that came to mind when it first started to happen. Fluid checked out fine, didn't really want to take a mercon bath unless i truely needed to. That's one of the main reasons i ended up taking it to the dealership

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
u should of known they werent gonna work on ur car cause it didnt have the original engine, especially in cali.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually the cars been there once before for an oil change, didn't have a problem then. My brothers a tech at Ford back home so he's going to check the car out while i'm down there this weekend

·
Registered
287 Posts
my MR2 did that too actually...it was the ground to my batt, the connector was bad....mabey you should check that if you havent checked that...it cost me 12 bucks at advance for a new connector..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts