TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i first had my car the doors would lock when I put the car into gear. Now it doesn't do it. It has happened just a few times since. Also when I used to turn the dome light on the and off the door locks would lock and that doesn't happen anymore. Please help me with any info

·
Registered
240 Posts
not sure it is supposed to...

Hey Chris, My 97 NEVER locked when engaged in drive. I remember the old "Mark-Birds" of the 70's used to do that, they would also unlock when you selected Park.

I think you would REALLY have to put some effort into locking the keys in the car with that set-up. I have wished for that set-up on a couple of occasions when I locked my keys in.

If my car is supposed to do that, what is broken?

·
Registered
855 Posts
don't know how everyone else's work, but my car locks the doors only when i turn the key to start the car.

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Cars that have the Keyless entry have the feature where the car locks the doors when put into gear. My dads '94 cougar does it (it has keyless entry) but my moms '96 doesn't (don't have keyless entry). I'm like 99% sure that this is true, but i might be wrong..... Can u guys tell me if you have keyless entry?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Tony said:
Cars that have the Keyless entry have the feature where the car locks the doors when put into gear. My dads '94 cougar does it (it has keyless entry) but my moms '96 doesn't (don't have keyless entry). I'm like 99% sure that this is true, but i might be wrong..... Can u guys tell me if you have keyless entry?
My 95 V8 does it and has keyless and my Super coupe does not because it doesnt have keyless so I believe you are correct...

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
don't keyless entery optioned cars have the keypad above the driver handle?

my 96 doesn't have it and doesn't lock the doors. That would be extremely annoying if was constantly locking the doors for me....

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
don't keyless entery optioned cars have the keypad above the driver handle?
Yea they have the keypad above the drivers side door handle. They only lock when you put it in a gear. There not THAT annoying. At first they are a tad, but u get used to them and don't even notice it! It isn't like you got to unlock them everytime you get out of the car or anything, when you pull on the handle the door just opens even if its locked....

·
11,719 Posts
Tony said:

Yea they have the keypad above the drivers side door handle. They only lock when you put it in a gear. There not THAT annoying. At first they are a tad, but u get used to them and don't even notice it! It isn't like you got to unlock them everytime you get out of the car or anything, when you pull on the handle the door just opens even if its locked....
I don't like that either. too easy for little hands to open a locked door.

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
well even if you don't have keyless entry, all birds/cougars do that (i'm pretty sure). I know in my moms (without keyless entry) you can still open the door when its locked.....

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my car has the keyless entry and there has to be a reasonwhy the locking when engaging isn't working anymore. any ideas

·
Registered
855 Posts
yeah, i'm pretty sure that all birds open from the inside even when locked. i guess it's for when you crash into the water so that you can open the door without electricity (power locks)........or if your car is on fire and you don't feel like unlocking it first. heh

·
Registered
176 Posts
Not mine...

My 94 XR7 with keyless does not lock the doors when put in gear or witrh the dome light trick, and it never has... I didn't even know it was an option and the manual doesn't say anything about it... The only problem with my keyless system is the panic does not function on the remote... A friend of mine has a 95 with keyless that everything works on and hers doesn't lock the doors either

-mj

·
11,719 Posts
Tony said:
well even if you don't have keyless entry, all birds/cougars do that (i'm pretty sure). I know in my moms (without keyless entry) you can still open the door when its locked.....
Wasn't saying you were wrong (I went to my car to check!) I was just saying I wish the handle didn't unlock the door for you. To me it defeats half the purpose of door locks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Chris,

Autolock feature will work if the following conditions are met:
1) autolock feature is activated.
2)driver's seat is occupied.
3)all doors are closed.
4)ignition switch is in run position.
5)the shift lever passes thru reverse position.

To activate autolock feature:
1)enter the five digit permanent entry code into the keypad.
2)within 5 seconds of entering the code, press and holdthe 7/8 button on the keypad.
3)within 5 secondsof pressing and holding the 7/8 button, press and then release the 3/4 button.
4)within 5 secondsof releasing the 3/4 button, release the 7/8 button on keypad.

To deactivate the autolock, repeat the above sequence.

If this doesn't work, buy a factory service manual off of ebay and follow the diagnosis procedure for testing the system.

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
So all keyless entry cars are equiped with the autolock feature then, they just may not be activated...right? (n0esc, so maybe you and your freinds autolock feature just isn't activated)

Wasn't saying you were wrong (I went to my car to check!) I was just saying I wish the handle didn't unlock the door for you. To me it defeats half the purpose of door locks.
Oh ok!:) Yea there are some positive and negative effects with the handle unlocking the door.... Whenever I have my little cousin in the car with me, i am constantly checking to see if she tries to open the door or something! Makes me kinda nervous....

·
Registered
176 Posts
hmmm.... interesting...

sure enough I checked and the manual does cover this in the keyless entry section, but try as I might I can't get the wretched thing to enguage..... tried all combos i could think of as to when to hold // release or push keys and it won't lock when i meet the conditions in the manual... any other guesses... gonna try it in the 95 tomorrw

-mj

·
Administrator
14,226 Posts
Re: not sure it is supposed to...

jrb23 said:
I think you would REALLY have to put some effort into locking the keys in the car with that set-up. I have wished for that set-up on a couple of occasions when I locked my keys in.
My car before the Bird was even worse. If you opened the door with the key turned on it wouldn't let you lock the door. You'd push the button and it would pop right back up. If you didn't open the door you could lock/unlock however much you wanted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts