TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to rent a car to attend an aunt's funeral a few hours away this past weekend, so they give me a 2011 Nissan Versa.

<b><u>Exterior</b></u>

The "pull me over" red looks nice but fails the "Just gonna give you a warning this time" test. Not needed this trip, but just the same--FAIL.

<b><u>Drivetrain</b></u>

The Versa's engine compartment looked fairly simple, but the serpentine belt was only about 1.5" away from the right fenderwell. Good luck changing out that one--FAIL.

However, I was pleasantly surprised by engine's performance. It didn't have any problems getting to 70 MPH and performed even with the 4.6L when I had to pass a slow poke on a two-lane blacktop heading out. Only a 3-spd auto transmission and it also handled pretty good. Drivetrain--PASS.

No cruise control--FAIL.

Interior

The "just touch me to open the hatch" button was nice, but definitely not something you could put Hoffa in. Trunk Storage--FAIL.

The cupholders on the console were too far forward and aft of the shifter to be practical. Not a good thing when you're fighting off sleep with java on I-85 on the return trip late at night. Cupholder--FAIL.

<b>Audio</b>

AM/FM CD player was adequate, but only had two front speakers--FAIL.

Not angled toward the driver--FAIL.

<b>Seats</b>

Ergo not as good as the Underbird buckets. Missing the adjustibility that power seats bring and maybe a little to firm but adequate--PASS.

<b><u>The Bottom Line</b></u>

It's good to be back in the Underbird again. :cool: :)

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I had one as a rental when my 97 Cougar got wrecked, and your pretty generous in your review.

My family liked it because of the upright seating and high view from the extra tall vehicle (it was a good foot taller than my Grand Marquis, and 18 inches taller than my Cougar). I personally don't like the riding a bike seating, I prefer the stretched out feel, and I don't care if the car is short.

Otherwise it was horrible. I only got about 7 mpg more on the highway than my 2000 Grand Marquis, and 5 mpg more than my 97 Cougar. Around town it fared slightly better.

On one trip I drove it 120 miles and 80 miles into it that the concrete and cloth seats had my entire body numb and tingling, it also vibrated, shook, and failed to maintain speed at the drop of a hat. It was top heavy, leaned when turning, loads of wind noise.

I realize I am taking the low end of the spectrum and comparing it to a 2,000 dollar used 14 year old car...which the 300 miles on the odometer brand new Versa should easily out do in all aspects except maybe performance. I can't imagine how horrible it would ride, drive, and fare after 1/3 of what I put my Cougar, Grand Marquis, and Mark VIII through.

·
Registered
134 Posts
so the nissan is smaller, uglier, marginally the same performance, and it costs a lot more, so the only advantage i see is the two extra doors, which means the versa fails compared to the tbird.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Versa's performance similarity actually comes from a power-to-weight ratio.

Starting out I saw a deer (actually a buck this time) on the road and blew the horn to clear him off the road.

I could envision myself getting brained by antlers due to the Versa's lightweight construction if you hit a deer. Either that or getting thrown into oncoming traffic and dying that way.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You forgot to score the Versa on gas mileage and compare that with the Thunderbird. LOL. Beside that I rather be on my car. Also God forgive a car wreck.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The Versa's performance similarity actually comes from a power-to-weight ratio.

Starting out I saw a deer (actually a buck this time) on the road and blew the horn to clear him off the road.

I could envision myself getting brained by antlers due to the Versa's lightweight construction if you hit a deer. Either that or getting thrown into oncoming traffic and dying that way.
While mass definitely comes into play in accidents (i.e.: if a 5K LB car meets a 3KLB car, the occupants in the heavier car will feel less than those in the small vehicle), I think you severely discount the march of technology.

There's barely enough data on the tests ran on 97 tbirds by the NHTSA to compare it to a 2011 Nissan Versa.
Near as I can figure it, the amount of force on the driver dummy's thorax in a 97 tbird (reported in Gs) is order's of magnitudes different than the amount of force subjected to the driver of a VErsa. Bottom Line: even if the car is crap, side impact airbags (to protect you against a ninja deer coming at you from the side) save lives.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/database/aspx/vehdb/queryvehicle.aspx

I don't believe glass technology has changed that significantly from 97 to 2011.. if some ninja deer happens to land on the windshield aimed at your noggin, I think the windshield rake (aka angle of the windshield) will affect whether or not you get brained than the overall crappiness of a Versa vs. a Tbird.

Regards,
-g

·
Registered
134 Posts

if the deer moved off, it was probably a young buck. the older ones would probably fall down laughing at you for blowing the horn at them in a versa.:uppoint::uppoint:

·
Super Moderator
9,181 Posts
You think that's bad what about putting subs in a Smart Car, now that would have to be a challenge
I somehow doubt the engine in that car has enough 'spare' power to drive an alternator capable of driving any worthwhile audio system, much less a sub... :D

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I somehow doubt the engine in that car has enough 'spare' power to drive an alternator capable of driving any worthwhile audio system, much less a sub... :D
lol

You made me think of something, Brandon. I bought a 1995 Mazda Protege 1.5L 5-Speed brand new that I put 300,000 miles on.

That car got consistent 40 mpg on the highway the whole time I owned it.
One year I had a trailer hitch welded to it and hauled a trailer from Maine to Florida.

No exaggeration - I got consistent 11 MPG !!!! :eek::eek::eek:
I had to stop to fuel up every 110 miles (it only had an 11.5 gallon gas tank).

Point is, there ISN'T much power to spare on those little cars..... :D

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,255 Posts
Rentals, I was in Vegas last weekend and rented a Mustang convertible.

If your over 5-10, don't rent, buy or borrow any 2005 and up mustang.
I'm 6-3, 230, my girl friend is 5-11.
Neither fit well.
With the roof down, thats the only way to drive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts