TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove my car upto my girlfriends house last night, and when i got up to start it this morning it simply would not fire up. It cranks and cranks and cranks, but will not go. I replaced the TFI module this spring so i wouldn't think it would go bad so soon, any ideas?

Thanx,

--Dan
 

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
Joined
·
8,978 Posts
first thing you have to do is narrow down the possibilities. Fuel, Starter, or Spark.

Get a can of carb cleaner, engine igniter fluid, etc, some kind of flammable engine cleaning spray. Take the intake tube off and have someone crank the car over with the gas pedal floored while you spray the stuff into the throttle body. If it runs this way, you have a problem with fuel delivery. If it still does nothing, you've got a problem in the starter or spark delivery. I had your same problem on two instances, one was when the starter went bad, and one was when the ignition coil (TFI) went bad. So if its not fuel it's a matter of replacing things and seeing if it works.

If it is fuel, check the trunk behind the carpet on the driver side where there is a little block box with a red button on top. This is the inertia fuel cut off switch. Sometimes they spontaneously trip and cut off fuel to the motor. It should be pushed in.

If its not fuel, I'd replace the starter. It sucks to do, but from the factory they are faulty. The new one will have a newly designed solenoid and you'll have to splice a new wire on it, which is provided with the starter. Has the car been cranking over a little longer than usual before it fires up lately? Thats a tell tale sign of a bad starter.

Try these things and see what you come up with. If you're still in a hole then let me know and I'll try to help you out some more. Good luck.

-Thomas
 

·
MaleWhore
Joined
·
2,640 Posts
mine is doing this now...but it only does it when its wet or humid outside...what could it be? im thinking wires or something...it smells like fuel so im thinking it has to do with spark...i got new everything...from wires and plugs to rotor and cap and coil...
 

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
Joined
·
8,978 Posts
sounds like a coil problem so its odd that yours is new. I've had a few instances where it was raining when a coil went bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
Hahahaha same problem i have with me sc?? if you find out what it is pm me and let me know so i can fix my damn car
 

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
Joined
·
8,978 Posts
chances are it wont be the same thing since the ignition between a 93 3.8 NA and 89 SC are totally different. He has ignition coil, ignition wire, distributor, cap, rotor, wires, plugs. You have crank sensor, DIS module, coil pack, wires, plugs. Your coil pack or DIS module could be bad but the most common thing to fail on DIS systems is the crank sensor.
-Thomas
 

·
MaleWhore
Joined
·
2,640 Posts
grrr :mad: ...now i have to get me a new coil again...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Thomas said:
first thing you have to do is narrow down the possibilities. Fuel, Starter, or Spark.

Get a can of carb cleaner, engine igniter fluid, etc, some kind of flammable engine cleaning spray. Take the intake tube off and have someone crank the car over with the gas pedal floored while you spray the stuff into the throttle body. If it runs this way, you have a problem with fuel delivery. If it still does nothing, you've got a problem in the starter or spark delivery. I had your same problem on two instances, one was when the starter went bad, and one was when the ignition coil (TFI) went bad. So if its not fuel it's a matter of replacing things and seeing if it works.

If it is fuel, check the trunk behind the carpet on the driver side where there is a little block box with a red button on top. This is the inertia fuel cut off switch. Sometimes they spontaneously trip and cut off fuel to the motor. It should be pushed in.

If its not fuel, I'd replace the starter. It sucks to do, but from the factory they are faulty. The new one will have a newly designed solenoid and you'll have to splice a new wire on it, which is provided with the starter. Has the car been cranking over a little longer than usual before it fires up lately? Thats a tell tale sign of a bad starter.

Try these things and see what you come up with. If you're still in a hole then let me know and I'll try to help you out some more. Good luck.

-Thomas
Ok the car quit running 3 days ago. It staled then started up at each light my friend needed to hold the gas pedal down in neutral to keep it from stalling.

We have. changed spark plugs, distributer cap and rotor, plug wires. the fuel shutoff is pushed in.

but it just cranks and crancks and crancks.

My friend just moved into his house and is not done as he still has no car to bring his kids home. i want to help him get this t-bird back flying. but her heart has stopped.

im willing to tear the top end of the motor apart to see if i have a fuel injection problem.

I also have a question. theres a connector were the fuel injectors are. that seems like should be pluged into a fuel injector but its not. its just sitting there. what isd this ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
oh also just wanted to add. i dont think the timing is off. because the rotor under the cap turns when we crank the car.
 

·
The Parts Guy
Joined
·
7,357 Posts
peppa said:
oh also just wanted to add. i dont think the timing is off. because the rotor under the cap turns when we crank the car.
Whether or not the timing is off, the rotor will still spin when the engine is cranked.

-Rod
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
Its might be a fuel problem? Pull your fuel filter off and see if you getting any gas where the filter was? and also check the fuel pump if not, also check you fuel cut off switch ion the trun on the drivers side. i had the sae problem , but the timeing might be off as well so if it is then you need a new timing beltand a tranny flush becasue if you crank it whith the timeing being bad then your fried you tranny fluid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
yes you will fry you tranny fliud by cranking a engine with a bad timing belt? dont knwo how it happens but it does
 

·
The Parts Guy
Joined
·
7,357 Posts
Destructor90 said:
yes you will fry you tranny fliud by cranking a engine with a bad timing belt? dont knwo how it happens but it does
And where are you getting this info from? I'll tell you right now that it is incorrect.

-Rod
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
You wont fry your tranny fluid by cranking the motor. Unless by cranking you mean "towing a crapload of crap with no tranny cooler"

Then you'd fry it for shizzle.
With a bad timing belt, you could skip some teef and end up with a nice custom one off porting job on your pistons, or an even nicer set of suddenly lightened valves.
 

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
Joined
·
8,978 Posts
Destructor, the NA birds had a distributor from 89-95, unlike the supercoupe. The timing can be adjusted through the distributor by twisting it. If the distributor is removed or the hold down screw is losened the timing could easily be thrown off. You need to get a timing light to check what the timing is set at, even if the two marks line up on the dist and timing cover a tooth could be off and it wont line up for the correct timing.

It has nothing to do with the chain, there's a very small chance that the timing chain skipped.

Also, the timing chain has nothing to do with the transmission, the a skipped or broken timing chain would do is bent the valves by colliding with the pistons.

-Thomas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,659 Posts
I also have a question. theres a connector were the fuel injectors are. that seems like should be pluged into a fuel injector but its not. its just sitting there. what isd this ?

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLUG YOUR INJECTORS IN!!!! YOU MAY BE ABLE TO SAVE YOURSELF A LOT OF TIME, STRESS, AND MONEY
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top