TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a friend with a problem on her Maxima. She says that when she turns on the air conditioning in town, the car, more or less, automatically starts to overheat. She said she can have the vent on in the cold setting no problem. Also, she said the air works fine at highway speeds. Can anybody give me some insight into what to tell her (I told her to get rid of it and buy a Cougar/T-Bird :D) or what to ask her?

Also: The car is a 1994 (I think) Nissan Maxima with the V6 and an auto. It has around 160k on the clock. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Here is a list of things to check.

1: The electric fan isn't coming on as it should. On 99.99999% of the cars out there, when you turn the A/C on, the electric fan should come on. If it doesn't then either the fan is bad or the sensor that turns it on is bad.
2: Bad/stuck thermostat. The thermostat could be bad but allowing enough flow at highway speeds to cool the engine but not in traffic/low speed conditions.
3: Partially clogged radiator. Either the coolant flow internally or the fins of the A/C condensor could be blocked/smashed restricting the air flow.
4: Low coolant/not enough coolant to water ratio. Pure water boils at 212* F. A 50/50 coolant/water mix boils at something like 280* F
5: Bad water pump. The impellers could be worn badly after 160k miles of pumping coolant, thus reducing coolant flow.
6: Clog in the coolant passages in the head or the block. Self explanatory though not likely.
7: Clogged heater core. Sounds stupid but sometimes a clogged heater core can disrupt flow enough to make the car overheat at low speeds but not at highway speeds.

There's a good starting point. Good luck!

·
Registered
789 Posts
I vote for a bad fan or relay. It's probably overheating if she lets it idle too.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
gecko2424 said:
I vote for a bad fan or relay. It's probably overheating if she lets it idle too.
+1
Same thing happened to my girlfriends 94 altima 4cyl. Switched the relay and it was ok.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Its under the hood on the passenger side. There is a cover over them that says which one does what. It looks almost like an engine fuse box.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts