TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Roomate's GF's car has been stuck at the local Wal-Mart parking lot for the past couple days. She has a 1996 Pontiac Grand Am (base model) and here it what it's doing...

It starts right up, but then dies after about a sec, even when giving it some gas. As far as I can tell, the engine sounds fine (durring the 1.5 sec that it's actually running). I really don't know too much about these cars, just trying to help out a friend. Anybody have any clue what could be wrong?

Thanks.

-Greg

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
how does it die? does it sputter, cough, and then stall, or does it shut down like someone pulled the battery connection?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Check fuel pressure.... When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GreenBird said:
how does it die? does it sputter, cough, and then stall, or does it shut down like someone pulled the battery connection?
It sputters just a little bit then just cuts out. It will do this about 5 or 6 times then it won't catch at all until you let it sit for a couple seconds.

Cougar281 said:
Check fuel pressure.... When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?
How do I check the fuel pressure? (keep in mind the cars in the Wal-Mart parking lot). I have no clue when the filter was changed. It was in the shop just a couple months ago getting a lot of work done to it, mostly electrical, but I don't know the details. I don't think the owner knows either, it was her father that got the work done and they live in NY (she is here in VA with me now).

Thanks for the help.

-Greg

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
cougarcragar said:
It definately sounds like a fuel issue.
Look around the fuel lines in the engine bay for a schrader valve.
Yep... Sounds like either the fuel pump is barely pumping fuel, or the filter is so plugged it only lets a littel fuel through, just enough to run the car cor that short time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts