TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i think im having trouble with my ignition system...for some reason, once and a while in i'd say 1 out of five starts it will hesitate and the engine will turn and try to start after about 5secs instead of the instant turn of the key doing its job...is this the starter? ignition? any info on what it could be and best way to go about fixing it would be appriciated!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Clean your:

Battery cables, maf, Iac

Check all ground wires.

Maybe your starter is trying to go.

Start with that and see what you get. Had a hard start condition on a 96, and it turned out that the fuel line was leaking, so hope that's not it, lol..

Jay

·
Registered
98 Posts
Im having the same problem. Every few days Ill get in my car in the morning and turn the key, and nothing, for a solid second or so, but then cranks and starts with no problems. I thought it was the ignition going out but the other day after getting gas, I went to start the car and nothing. I held the key in the start position for about 5-6 seconds and nothing. After sitting there a little while (about 30 seconds) it finally cranked and started.
But the other day at the gas station when that happened, the RPM needle jumped up a little bit while holding the key on, after doing some searching it seems thats a symptom of the computer crapping out?
Does anyone have any insight on this problem?
thanks

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
my mom's car was doing this... turned out to be the starter going on it's way out. replaced the starter and no more delay before starting. happened more in teh cold weather I might add.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
my mom's car was doing this... turned out to be the starter going on it's way out. replaced the starter and no more delay before starting. happened more in teh cold weather I might add.
Replaced my starter and it still did it. Replaced the igntion switch and it still does it. Not often, but it's been doing it for 2 years. Sometimes it just won't go. I found the wire to the solenoid near the battery and ran a pigtail to near the positive terminal, in a pinch, that starts her every time!
Added
Maybe it's whatever they call the neutral switch, the voltage goes low to the solenoid when it happens. Wuz gonna add a relay, but I'm just not that ambitious!

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts