TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a week since I installed Straight pipes and removed the air silencer on my car and I noticed something weird going on when I am at a stop light. The car is idling at about 500rpm when it normally idled at about 800. Is this normal and how can I get the car idling at its normal range without putting the mufflers back on?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
It idled at 800 in drive at idle? That seems high. I'm pretty sure its supposed to be at 500. That's where mine is anyway.
I also run straight pipes and no silencer.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
800 may be a bit high but it is just an estimate. It's more like 650 but the car is idling lower than it normally would.

·
Super Moderator
4,926 Posts
And - it's having what kind of problem from that?

RwP

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And - it's having what kind of problem from that?

RwP
It isn't causing any problem that keeps me from driving the car. It's something I noticed since it used to idle slightly higher than it is now while in drive.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
stock idle, warm, is 550 rpm in gear. If it's idling any higher, THEN you have problems.
I looked at the tach when the car was stopped on a road in Ann Arbor and it was idling at if not a little lower than the 500 mark.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For some awkward reason, the car is idling normally again. Since my last post last week, I drove about 500 miles and the tachometer shows that the engine is idling like it did when I had the mufflers on. I guess it isn't the exhaust then.

·
Super Moderator
4,926 Posts
Then I'm going to go out on a limb and say you need to test and possibly replace your IAC.

RwP

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Everyone says NEVER to adjust base idle, but if you've changed throttle bodies, intakes, or made major intake modifications, you may consider resetting the base idle that I've described here: http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?p=1268976

Basically, with the IAC unplugged, your car should barely idle at about 500-550 rpm if all is working correctly (TPS voltage should be .94-.98v at idle).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts