TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my gutted cats replaced with straight pipe... and the sound is night and day. SOOO much more aggressive with little to zero droning (a little bit around 2k rpm) compared to my gutted cats. Got rid of all the noise coming from the engine/cats. 2.25'' pipe used manifold back, into a 2.5'' Magnaflow DI/DO w/ built in x-pipe, into 3" chrome tips. Amazing! Recommend this setup for any 4.6 bird/cougar who wants a clean aggressive sound!

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
why not stay consitant and run 2.5 off the manifold?

·
Registered
164 Posts
also, how much louder is the setup compared to with cats.
I'm thinking about putting straight pipe in place of my cats.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The first shop that put in my duals wouldn't go 2.5". They said it wouldn't fit *cough bullsh*t cough*. Also, I dont produce enough HP to even bother with it. Yea the muffler is 2.5" in/out (I think, I could be wrong).

The sound is louder, and more aggressive then with stock cats. Those cats act like mufflers themselves in a way... slowing down the exhaust gases/flow and lessening the resonance. As long as you still run a good muffler (magnaflow imo)
you will get a nice sound without losing your hearing :). I went from stock cats... to gutted... to straight pipes. The gutted cats were a big mistake. I wished I would have left the cats alone at that point. You will get a lot of "noise" from those empty chambers and underneath the car. Sounds like a old beater truck. After the straights were put in, I love driving my car all over again :).

·
Registered
164 Posts
ill still have the magnaflow midmount, so I doubt it will make my ears bleed, not that I wouldn't mind it sounding louder, seeing as how it already sounds great. I got 2.5 for the sound, not the hp (for now), and it sounds great, but the cats are gonna go, I think...
THanks for the help cougar ricer

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Curious as to what the diff in sound would be between 2.25" and 2.5" piping ... significant difference?

It really isn't THAT loud... id compare it to a Stang GT with a aftermarket exhaust system. At highway speeds and low RPM its not that noticeable. When accelerating yea... it can be kinda noisy... but a good noise! :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
not sure if its significant, I think you would have to have the cars side by side to get a comparison worth anything.
From what I've researched, and from what people tell me, the larger the pipe, the deeper the tone, but I don't have any proof, just hearsay. Currently my exhaust sounds great, but I would like to make it a little louder, and since I need to at least replace my cats anyway, might as well try going without them. I have some universals I could put in if its too loud. But it would have to be really loud and sound bad I think for me to want to quiet it down.

The price was same for it, and the guy could do it, so I went for 2.5".

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Going huge with the exhaust isn't that great of an idea. if you don't have the power for it you'll lose torque and be slower.
Alan

·
Registered
164 Posts
i didn't notice any loss in torque, and I read a few places where the 2.5" shouldn't make any loss in torque, but any larger and it could. I saw on here where several people had run 2.5 with unmodded to very lightly modded engines, with no problems, so I figured it would be ok. I plan on big mods once I get out of school anyways, so im not going to worry that much about it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was concerned about it though, till I got the car back, but no worries now

1 - 11 of 11 Posts