TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the temp gets right there close to the "L". Before , it never got to the "A"

anyone else have a temp change since pulley install? anything to fix other than put old one back on?

Mike

·
Registered
299 Posts
It is to be expected as the water pump is now turning slower than stock. That is the point of the U/D pulleys. You shouldnt have a problem with overheating. If is absolutely concerns you there are a number of solutions to it, some cheap and easy, some expensive and difficult.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It is still operating within the "NORMAL" range.......thus the word normal printed on the gauge. If you are concerned I would go to a 180 degree thermostat and get a Dennis chip or J-Tune to match it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have pullies...and...

...I live in FL. I have had them on for a little while now, and I have noticed that my car does run a little hotter, but I have not had any problems. Obviously there are a lot of us who either live in FL, TX, NM and other hot places that have pullies on, and I have not heard of anyone who has told of any negative effects.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I have got pullies on my 5.0 and the only reason my car was running hot was because my top radiator hose had a gash in the bottom (out of sight) and leaked coolant all over. Lovely, being as I ran my car for weeks without realizing. My water pump might have gone bad by now. I just bought another t-stat for it from Discount and will install it along with my heads soon enough. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Upgrade said:
Why do you need a chip to match a 180 thermo? I have been using one in my 5.0 for quite some time.

Your 5.0 has a mechanical fan(?) which is running all the time. The 4.6 has an electric fan and will not turn on untill about 198 so in traffic the car will still heat up to the same temp with the 180 stat. On the hwy it would run around 180 due to the airflow.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Exactly. The chip or EEC-V flash just causes the fan to come on earlier. I have UD pulleys and my car runs cooler with the 180 t-stat than before it did without pulleys.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
this is true...but...

my car ran a LOT cooler with the 160deg tstat in. but everyone said the 180 is best now this is the problem:

car is up (on the 97 model) near the 30mph mark during the day and after 25 min of driving.
if you drive without the a/c on (and it is less than 78deg outside), car will rise up to the 30mph mark, when a/c turns on, it will drop down below the 20mph mark.

who was it that said the engine will not go into closed mode when you run a 160deg tstat without a chip?

JD

·
5w30 Guzzler
1,462 Posts
i do have an advance auto parts, but i went in and asked them if they had it (after i looked with no luck) and they said they didnt have it, but told me to get "stop overheating" or something like that, but that gets added in your oil. so maybe it was just that one, you think a napa would have it?

·
Registered
610 Posts
chilipepprflea said:
i do have an advance auto parts, but i went in and asked them if they had it (after i looked with no luck) and they said they didnt have it, but told me to get "stop overheating" or something like that, but that gets added in your oil. so maybe it was just that one, you think a napa would have it?
Well, I don't know about NAPA but I need to go to discount Auto. If they have some I could get ya a bottle and send it to ya. Drop me an email... blown94sc (at) cox.net

remove (at) and put @ for the email address...

Jim Long

·
5w30 Guzzler
1,462 Posts
i also have autozone here. you think the stuff is worth it? any idea how much it costs? i think i heard $5. but i might take ya up on that blown, as long as s&h isnt more than $:rolleyes:

·
Registered
621 Posts
chilipepprflea said:
i also have autozone here. you think the stuff is worth it? any idea how much it costs? i think i heard $5. but i might take ya up on that blown, as long as s&h isnt more than $:rolleyes:
$5 at PepBoys. And yes, it does work.

·
Administrator
14,229 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Purple Ice

Thats what i put in my coolant... (as per the advice of my brother)... dont know if it helped, but never had heating problems since (but then again, i never use my AC no more..=)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts