TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 102,000 miles on it and I have never had the maf off the car. But now I get code 174 (bank2 lean) It comes on after I reset it with an el-cheapo reader, sometimes in half an hour, sometimes in days. Car has also began to idle poorly with a/c OFF. I searched and read the posts about cleaning your maf if you get 174. My question, This appears to be a simple procedure with contact cleaner and q-tips or chammi sticks. If I am careful is there more than a 50% chance I can destroy my maf? Or am I going about this wrong. Happy Holidays to All.
Richard.:bangwall:

·
Registered
921 Posts
people will say q-tips are not very safe because the maf wires are very fragile. I'd just spray some electrical cleaner through the sample tube, let it dry, and try again.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Spray non oil bearing solvent in the bobbins, and if something big needs to be yanked off, do it ever so gently with a fine sable tipped artists brush or equivalent, and/or blow off residue with computer compressed duster aerosol... be careful, and good luck... usually the electronics can go almost anyplace the far side of 50K , and act really strange... so if cleaning doesnt cut it, its a new maf or 02 sensor for you:(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts