TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never had a problem with the cooling system in the car, bit I have noticed lately that the temp gauge is reading hotter than normal. And today when I drove a little faster (making the hotter of course) and waited in stop and go traffic, I noticed on the driver side hood was smoking so I parked it for like 25 mins to let her cool off. Then I poped the hood and noticed that the coolant came out of the resoiver tank(when you put coolant in if it is under the cold level). It was about half way full and I pour some of my water from my water bottle and drove it home fine. My question is what does this sound like? I have no leaks that i can see and it spilled out for sure in the resovier tank.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sounds like maybe a problem with the t-stat, check that first and also check the status of your fluid itself I.E see if the mixture is proper 50/50..

Jon

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
Be sure that your fan is coming on - if not, that could be causing the higher temperatures. Turn on the A/C and check to see it's running - it will always be on with the compressor.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the quick reply guys. I will check if the fan is coming on. If it doesn't, could it just be a fuse? and I think you might be right about the t stat. I hope my cap isn't bad because how could coolant just spill up like that when it is on tight?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
There's a seal under neath the cap, a o-ring if you will, that if it doesn't seal properly than any excess pressure and what not can and will come out beneath that cap..

·
Registered
251 Posts
try the Tstat, its real cheap and real easy. when i got my 94 it overheated like 2 days after i bought it, changed the tstat and viola! :B

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to change the cap too. It keeps your system pressurized so many PSI before releasing.

·
Registered
985 Posts
JACOB,

Coolant can be expelled from the reservoir if the pressure in the system exceeds the vent pressure of the cap (this can happen during overheating) even if the cap is tight and functioning correctly. It is designed to work that way, to prevent the system from becoming overpressurized.

That said, your cap could be bad, or it might not have been sealing completely against the fill neck of the reservoir. Check for nicks around the top surface of the fill neck, and rinse the cap out in clean water to remove any residue from the coolant expulsion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts