TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of the people I work with buy brand new cars every 2 - 3 years.

They trade in their 3 year old car (often taking a loss due to the depreciation) and get a new car with usually a slightly higher payment.

Can someone explain why someone would do that?!?!? :beek: :2huh:

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Its a status symbol. "Look how wealthy I am!"

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
I hate living in debt.
Therefore, I don't.

Why do sheeple do it? who knows.

Honestly, there is nothing wong with owning a vehicle after it is paid off.

I currently have zero car payments, I have no credit card payments.
Only thing I'm in debt for(besides regular bills....but those are not debt), is my mortgage.

Oweing nothing to no-one is great.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Yeah, that is right up there with leasing. I understand leasing to a point for some people, but then again not really.

I bought two cars making payments, and one was my 89 Cougar. Wait, I still have it after 15 years, and the 00 Grand Marquis, which I bought used in 2001.

I like to think I pick a car I am going to like for awhile, be able to maintain and keep it going for awhile, then when it worth nothing, keep driving it for another 10 years :)

·
Registered
855 Posts
People at work bust my ba**s about my cars and they are the ones with new pick ups, suv's or other cars that cost more money than I would ever spend. We have one car payment and that is all I want I don't know how these people have 2 or 3 car payments and drive the vehicles they drive with gas reaching $4.00 per gallon and the insurance on them.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
My brother leases, its not bad his payments are reasonable, he has an 06 Altima, nice car and with the monthly payments hes making it really is worth it, and thats with no down payment. I guess it all depends on where you go and when. I personally can not see myself doing it because every vehicle I ever owned didn't remain stock for more then a day. If it was stereo, or tints, or even stuff like exhaust or something like that. My next car I will be buying new and paying it off outright because I hate making payments.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Couldn't tell you . . . hell, I was leery of putting a car payment over my head given current circumstances, but it's the last car I plan on buying for a long time and I sure as hell plan on paying it off early.

It always amazed me at the number of people in my hometown (little rural farming town) that would have brand new trucks/SUV's/cars every couple of years. I guess it's a status thing for most folks . . . which would explain why I never saw a point in it.

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
You know if this country would decide to make more cars that people actually want, like the MN12, they wouldnt be trading them in every other year. Live debt free, like Dave Ramsey says!!!

C.Hill

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
My T-bird is the only vehicle I took a loan out for, and that was in 2001 when I was 18 and still in High School.

·
Super Moderator
7,527 Posts
The simple answer is they have short attention spans and want instant gratification. People know they can afford X/month for a car payment, so they buy what they can afford. But then they realize the car they bought is a cheap piece of crap, so they need a new one so they trade it in on another of the same. They never stop to think about how much they are paying in total and what a nice car they could have instead if they would just keep it for a while or buy something that is a few years old instead of brand new. I have this argument all the time with a guy I work with, and he just can't see the problem with making payments forever. The only response he has is "buy you get a new car every 3 years". I think these people who do this just don't appreciate anything that they have, so once they have the opportunity to trade-up, they jump on it, not thinking about how much money it is costing them over time.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I substite the quality of my car
with the quantity I have in my driveway.

one of my coworkers was complaining the other day about his lease payments.... a grand a month... what what?!? jeezzzus thats almost my morgage payment.... not to mention thats about what I'd spend on a car total.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Couldn't tell you . . . hell, I was leery of putting a car payment over my head given current circumstances, but it's the last car I plan on buying for a long time and I sure as hell plan on paying it off early.

It always amazed me at the number of people in my hometown (little rural farming town) that would have brand new trucks/SUV's/cars every couple of years. I guess it's a status thing for most folks . . . which would explain why I never saw a point in it.
You've got a good car now...should last awhile :)

I'm getting out of my car payment and into something paid for in cash...probably a 5-7 year old GT.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Why do people buy new cars ever 3-4 years....
Because nobody in this country knows how to do a damned thing for themselves anymore. They just write a check to fix whatever breaks,and they can't afford to have it break after the warranty is expired. Ignorance is bliss,and Americans in the majority fit this classification.
JL

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Many of the people I work with buy brand new cars every 2 - 3 years.

They trade in their 3 year old car (often taking a loss due to the depreciation) and get a new car with usually a slightly higher payment.

Can someone explain why someone would do that?!?!? :beek: :2huh:
Because they can. Just because your frugal doesn't mean everyone else should be too.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
I think it's a habit that has evolved in this country over the past 20 years or so. I've had jobs with decent income where I used to live; I never wanted to spend my hard-earned money on a lease payment. I like owning my Cougar, even if it's 12 years old. It's still mine.

Because they can. Just because your frugal doesn't mean everyone else should be too.
You have an uncanny knack for making somebody feel stupid for asking a perfectly reasonable question.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
My comment made you feel stupid? If so that says more about you then me... Or are you an empath who's channeling DD4.6's pain? :rolleyes:

Just because someone is frugal doesn't mean everyone else should be too. I've found it difficult to get frugal people to understand why other people aren't frugal about things like they are. I've been around and round that path with my mother. If your frugal it's never going to make sense to you why i or anyone else does something that isn't frugally minded. lol

Why do frugal people have to be judgemental about what other people do with their hard earned money?

Nothing wrong with being frugal. Just don't waste your time trying to analyze why everyone else isn't frugal just like you. It'a fruitless exercise. Thus why i said "Because they can. Just because your frugal doesn't mean everyone else should be too".

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
I'm just making an observation.

90% of your posts make you look like a pretentious ass. Are you like that in real life?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is it even possible for you to make a post that stays on topic or at least does not attack someone?!?!?! :beek:

I was wondering why people do what they do. Maybe there were people on here that could answer it. While I think it is not a good move (especially when these same people are constantly complaining about not having any money...) it is obviously their choice and their money to spend how they please.

I'm just trying to understand why people that complain about "money being tight" constantly do some of the most wasteful thing they can do? I was trying to learn something that I don’t understand!! :2huh:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts