TCCoA Forums banner

Car randomly shakes when up-shifting.

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  BoiledDogs 
#1 ·
I notice this a while ago but I didn't pay much attention until it started happening more frequently. I notice some rattling below me when the car tries to up-shift into third. Anyone know what's happening?

#2 ·
Torque converter shutter? Which a lot of times can be cured with a fluid change with new Mercon V (don't forget to drain the torque converter).

#3 ·
+1 Fluid change with Mercon V and I'd also highly recommend the J-mod with a mild or medium setting (depending on your preference).

If you're not doing much to the car and want to keep the shifts reasonably soft I'd recommend the mild setting.

If you need more info on the J-mod look around the site. There's a lot here on it.

RobertP sells predrilled ready to install plates with all the accessories (springs, accumulators, valve body gasket, new Trans filter) needed to complete the mod.

I'd also recommend upgrading the valve body while you're in there.

#4 ·
I will have to wait until Christmas when I get out of school before I can start messing with my car.
I read a few threads on the J-mod and it seems like something I can do later.
As for plans, I might do a DOHC swap (assuming Rob hasn't sold his Mark VIII engine by next spring.) Suspension and brakes are on the list as well.
I would like to take this car into the ~14 second 1/4 mile range.
How quicker will J-mod help with shift times and 0-60?

#7 ·
I'm taking the bird to a nearby transmission shop on Tuesday to do the flush for me.
They will flush the fluid and add an addictive to it to reduce friction or something.
I'll take the bird out for little drive afterwards and hopefully the rattling will no longer exist.
They are charging 120 bucks for all that and they are reputable according to reviews on the internet.

#11 ·
Avoid the fluid conversion additive and buy a couple of cases of mercon v from ford (motorcraft brand) or autozone (castrol brand) and bring it with you instead. Use the extra to service your powersteering in your driveway with a bucket and a pair of pliers.

#9 ·
I was told flushing is better because it pushes new fluid into the TC and tranny while pushing the old fluid out. Draining the fluid alone only drains most of it but there will still be some of the old stuff left inside the TC.

#13 ·
Well I got the car flushed and they added a friction modifier as well.
I went ahead and drove about 50 miles today and the shaking or rattling is no longer there. :D
Now I got other stuff to worry about...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.