TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
over the winter my car antifreeze had gotten frozen going to work one day and now a couple of months ago i had changed the coolant temp sensor and the rad cap and i was wondering maybe since the water in the engine froze that maybe it could have done something to the water pump and now that it is hot out the coolant is not flowing fast enough to stay cooled down. over the winter never really had a problem with it running hot it was pretty much always cold. i have noticed there was a hissing noise coming from the alternator or water pump could not figure out which one it is cause i had just replaced the alternator so hopefully it is not that. any help is good.

·
Registered
324 Posts
This hissing you describe, when do you hear it? Do you hear it while driving,
parked at idle with the hood up, or when the engine is shut off? Whats your
water temp indicating? Wheres your fluid level sitting in the overflow resevoir?
If you want to check the conditon of the pump slacken off the belt and give the
pump a spin by hand, does it bind or drag?

Chris............

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when the car is idling and when it is running i can hear it when i am inside the car. in park or drive and with the hood up. the car temp was going to about the r and m in norm. it used to only run at about the n or below it so to me it is running hot. overflow was about the min level it can be at. i know my car runs hot but usually the gauge never says that it is. will check the last one sometime soon.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
If the level is at MIN when the engine's warmed up, I'd think there's not enough coolant in the system. See #9 below. Top it off, and observe it for a few days. When was the thermostat replaced last?

From the 1994 Service Manual:

Cooling System, Draining, Filling and Bleeding

WARNING: NEVER REMOVE RADIATOR OR COOLING SYSTEM CAP UNDER ANY CONDITIONS WHILE ENGINE IS OPERATING. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS COULD RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY AND/OR DAMAGE TO THE COOLING SYSTEM OR ENGINE.

WARNING: TO AVOID BURNS FROM SCALDING COOLANT OR STEAM, USE EXTREME CARE WHEN REMOVING THE RADIATOR PRESSURE CAP.

1. With the engine off and sufficiently cool, remove pressure relief cap, open radiator draincock (8115) and remove the cylinder block drain plug(s) (if equipped) and allow coolant to drain.

2. Close radiator draincock . Hand-tighten.
NOTE: Coolant level cannot be accurately checked while the engine is running.

NOTE: It important to maintain engine coolant concentrate between 40 percent, 24°C (-11°F) and 60 percent 52°C (-62°F), depending on climate conditions. Below 40 percent there is a loss of freeze protection. Above 60 percent, the engine may overheat on a warm day. Outside this range, protection against rust and corrosion may be greatly reduced. Refer to Specifications for specified coolant.

3. Check all hose clamps for proper tightness and location. Ensure radiator draincock is closed and cylinder block drain plug(s) are installed (if equipped).

4. Place heater temperature selector in maximum heat position.
CAUTION: The vent plug must be removed before radiator fill or the engine may not fill completely. Do not turn plastic cap under vent plug or the gasket may be damaged. Do not try to add coolant through vent plug hole. Install vent plug after filling radiator and before starting engine.

5. Remove vent plug on water bypass elbow (located on intake manifold (9424) behind water hose connection (8592) ) on 3.8L engines.

6. Fill engine cooling system with 50/50 mixture of antifreeze solution and water.
WARNING: TO AVOID THE POSSIBILITY OF PERSONAL INJURY OR DAMAGE TO THE VEHICLE, DO NOT OPERATE ENGINE WITH VEHICLE HOOD OPEN UNTIL FAN BLADE HAS BEEN FIRST EXAMINED FOR POSSIBLE CRACKS AND SEPARATION.

7. Leave pressure relief cap off and run engine until water thermostat (8575) opens (coolant flowing through upper radiator hose (8260) becomes hot).

8. Stop engine and add 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and water to engine cooling system as necessary to adjust level.

9. Add a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze solution and water to the FULL HOT mark on the radiator coolant recovery reservoir (8A080) .

10. Install pressure relief cap.

11. On 3.8L engines install cooling system vent plug. Tighten to 10-15 Nm (8-11 lb-ft).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts