TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from throwing P1407, even after the check engine like comes on it still runs damn good, stable and steady revs. I was getting the P1407 (autozone had no info on this code) and a P0402 (EGR valve flow excessive), and I remember reading that the sensor on the back of the intake elbow (DPDE sensor or something - connects to the EGR tube) so I swapped it out with the one off my old engine (it didn't throw any codes, just a bad rod knocking). The P1407 popped back up a day after I changed the sensor. The codes used to come right on within 4-5 minutes or driving under 50, in the last 30 hours i've drove a lot before it came on so the sensor I changed must have helped something. What should my next step be, and what does that damn code mean? Thanks.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
From the Ford Service Manual on CD (1993-1994):

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) 1407 indicates that continuous self-test has detected no EGR flow.

NOTE:
If the fault is currently present, DTC 1408 will be output in Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test.

Possible Causes:
-- EGR valve stuck closed or iced.
-- EGR valve diaphragm leaks.
-- EGR flow path restricted.
-- EGR vacuum hose off, plugged or leaks.
-- EVR VPWR circuit open.
-- EVR circuit to PCM open.
-- EVR circuit to PCM shorted to PWR.
-- DPFE sensor pressure hoses both off.
-- DPFE sensor VREF circuit open.
-- Damaged EVR solenoid.
-- Damaged DPFE sensor.
-- Damaged PCM.

I get that code occasionally. It's been off for 10 days now, but I'm thinking either a vacuum problem, DPFE problem, or a intermittant EGR valve blockage.

Update: I tested the EGR vacuum Tuesday (4/22) afternoon...the valve wasn't able to hold a 5-10hg vacuum, so, based on the Service Manual recommendation, a new EGR valve is on the agenda.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I HAD THIS PROBLEM TOO.. AFTER DOIN A LOT OF RESEARCH ON THIS PROBLEM THIS IS THE FIX I CAME UP WITH ....U HAVE TO TAKE ALL OF THE INTAKE STUFF OFF AND THEN REMOVE THE GOOSE NECK AND TB THEN U WILL SEE A SMALL EGR PASSAGE ..CLEAN THIS PASSAGE WITH BRAKE CLEAN OR CARB CLEANER AND USE A FLAT SCREW DRIVER TO SCRAPE THE PASSAGE. THIS SHOULD TAKE CARE OF IT .. BUT I ALSO CHANGE MY EGR POSTION SENSOR TOO ...HOPE THIS WILL HELP U..:)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I recently had the same problem with mine. After chatting with Ford about the situation I replaced both the DPDE sensor AND the EGR....(my EGR was stuck) After doing so, I've not had the Check Engine light on since changing these parts March 2nd. Another thing, I also had my EEC reflashed.

If your still getting light after changing the DPDE, did you try re-setting the computer? Thats what I had to do.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since I already replace the aluminum sensor and that cleared up the P0402, I guess I'll go ahead and clean the EGR tube and passageways, clean my old EGR valve and install it along with the black plastic sensor on the back of the intake elbow. And since I'm already doing a lot of work just to get the light off (since the car runs fine and all) I'm going to take a crack at gutting the cats just for the fun of it. If that doesn't take care of it I don't know what will. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
193 Posts
its a pain in the butt, but take wipers and cowel off the car to give u more room under the hood. Then the 4 bolts holding the throttle body, unplug the sensors to give u more slack if there is any and move it out of the way. Buy a new t/b gasket and take a screw driver, carb cleaner, and a shop vac and go to town. Good luck

·
Registered
28 Posts
i had this same problem, after autozone told me the code i went to the nearest ford dealership and asked wut it was, they said stuck open, but everyone else here says stuck closed. well my engine light turned off and i changed my plugs and wires to a larger wire and platnium plugs and well that fixed my problem.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked my 8.5 wires and they're all good. BTW I had to switch to copper plugs because the bosch platinum ones mad my engine miss, I never messed with the gap before swapping the platinums and they were all stock .46 I think when I took them out. I gapped the new copper plugs to .57 and now the car runs fine, but I'm still dealing with codes. Still haven't had time or motivation to go back behind the engine again. I lost three 7mm wrenches changing the aluminum (dpde...or whatever, you know what I mean) sensor - I got big hands, tight spots like that are very uncomfortable and a pain in the ***, I just can't wait to try and loosen the EGR tube nuts.

·
Registered
193 Posts
i found it easier to unbolt the egr from the intake if your pulling the intake to clean the throttle body/iac/egr stuff. Only 2 bolts.... i found a few 8mm sockets, 10mm one in the space inbetween the block and intake. you never know what u might find in that gap.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts