TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start my Cougar cold, it runs poorly, rough and no power. Once it is warmed up, it is running okay, but not as smooth as before.

Could this be the IAC? I have not run codes yet, have NOT had time with all the Christmas stuff my wife has me doing.

I had wondered if the one of the injectors is not spraying correctly as well.

No more water leaks and got my new hood shock in!

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,365 Posts
Start simple, it's probably electrical.

ECT, MAF, IAT are the first little culprits I think of, with the MAF being the most common. A super simple test is to just unplug the MAF and start the car. If it's better, you know what the culprit is. If nothing changes, you've ruled it out (for the most part).

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exact problem I had, then it got worse and my CEL came on. It was bad plugs and nasty MAF.
Interesting.

I have new plugs and just cleaned the MAF.

I need to run codes before I do anything else.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Unplug the MAF like theterminator93 advised. When I did that the car ran perfect. That is what lead to the discovery and all the help from here.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unplug the MAF like theterminator93 advised. .
;) Will do.

Let you know what happens.

While looking at the coolant sensor, I noticed anti-freeze coming from the upper hose at the rad. Turned the clamp around to get more clamp on the area BEFORE the rim. It stopped leaking.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I pulled the MAF connector, it started just fine, but it died when I put it in gear.
Still have an issue besides the MAF.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,365 Posts
Yank the IAC and see if it's gunked up. It may be possible to clean it out if it's very dirty.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I had a 1992 sable with a 3.8L, One thing you should check always is the EGR sensor, on the Sable/Taurus it was mounted right ontop of the system, mine melted.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a 1992 sable with a 3.8L, One thing you should check always is the EGR sensor, on the Sable/Taurus it was mounted right ontop of the system, mine melted.
Good idea, thank you. But a bad EGR won't leak oil / brake fluid into the exhaust tube to the EGR and should have shown up on a complete diag.

Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts