TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my car warms up if i idle for any length of it smokes when i take off. The smoke is a grayish/blue color. Does this sound like bad valve guides or seal.

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
In the words of the great WESWING

your valve seals are bad. typical of the 4.6L motor. just keep oil in it and you'll be fine :)
Daily Driven also has this to say

A VERY normal issue on the earlier 4.6L's. The early models had faulty valve stem seals and will leak a little oil when your car is hot and idling for a while.

Mine were so bad sometimes that I would leave a cloud you couldn't see through. :mad:

The “official” repair would be to replace the valve stem seals. (Shouldn’t have to pull the cams, but the covers and followers, springs, etc. do have to get pulled. Not hard, but time consuming)

I started using the Valvoline MaxLife oil and it helped a lot. (I don’t normally recommend different oils but in this case I will). It took about 3 oil changes for it to dramatically decrease my smoking.
Also search is your friend

C.Hill

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the words of the great WESWING

Daily Driven also has this to say

Also search is your friend

C.Hill
thanks for the help i'll keep the oil full and drive her till the wheels fall off. the car as over 200k so it would be worth the time to put new seals in it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've put some "Stop Smoke" in my engine from walmart, and it actually stopped smoking.

It's not really a fix, but it'll be less embarrassing when sitting in the taco bell drive through.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts