TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must have a loose wire somewhere. Sometimes, when I get in my car and try to start it, everything does what it usually does, except for the starter, which does nothing. The radio shuts off. The voltmeter drops. The headlights don't dim though when they're on, so there's no voltage pull. Now I've ruled out the starter and solenoid. When this happened today, I pulled off the ignition wire (the one that plugs on) and used it as a jumper between the ignition plug it goes on and the starter cable. It turned right over. Plus the solenoid is only a few weeks old. Thus the ignition wire cannot be getting voltage when I turn the key.

Thus it must be a broken or shorted circuit. I don't think it's the ignition switch, since the radio and voltmeter die when the key is in the start position, but it could be. I'm leaning towards some plug or connection being loose. What I'd like to know is various points along the ignition wire I can check to make sure it's connected well and maybe hook my voltmeter to to make sure it's getting voltage to that point. I plan on tracing the wire tomorrow and looking around. Unfortunately it's an intermittent problem that happens less often than not, and it's usually in the most inconvenient places, so it's hard to test. If it comes down to it, I'll buy a push button switch from Walmart and connect it to the ignition and starter posts on the solenoid so I can start it from under the hood. In fact, I may do that anyway since starting the car from under the hood could be useful when working on it. But anyway, any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the same problem with my car last winter and I replaced the ignition switch and that fixed it. Sometimes it would crank on the first try and others you would have to try it like 3 or 4 times before it would crank.
Hope this helps some.
Leggo

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
check the single terminal on the starter itself as well, sometimes they get pretty corroded.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The MLPS is a good idea, but I've tried shifting to neutral and cranking, and still nothing, so I doubt it's that. Perhaps it is the ignition switch. I figured if it was that, it wouldn't do anything in the start position like it was still in the run position, but if Leggo76's radio shut off too, maybe it is that.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I tried to take the ignition switch out tonight, and couldn't quite get it out. I got the steering wheel off and the shroud around the column and the blinker and all that. There were two fairly large allen bolts on each side of what was left. I took them off but could only pull the assembly out a little. The accessories came on when I pulled on it like if I turned the key backwards. What am I missing here? And can I replace the ignition switch (or part of it) without having to use another key?

On the bright side, I took off that freakin switch for the dinger. Now I won't be annoyed by that stupid thing when I have the keys in the ignition and the door open, though it will still ding when I open the door with my lights still on, which is a good thing.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Come on. Surely someone reading this knows how to take off the ignition switch.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
it should come out with the allen bolts gone, if not try taking the wire connector off, it has been a couple of years since i did mine, but try that, and by changing the switch, you won't need a different key, the only time that happens is when you change the lock cylinder, if you want i can look in my chilton's book and quote the instruction's to you, later'z........:D

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
are you asking how to take the electrical switch off or the key cylinder?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure what wire connection you're talking about chorizon. There's the single wire for the dinger, which is disconnected for good. If there's an actual plug for the ignition, I apparently missed it because the radio came on as I was pulling it off.

jk89cat: I just want to pull the electrical switch off. I thought the two were built together, but I'm glad they're not. This is the first time I've ever delved into this stuff.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
dude, the wire connector i was talking about is the one on the ignition switch, the dinger is on the lock cylinder, which one are you trying to remove? the lock cylinder is not going to cause the occasional no start condition, the only way it would do that is if you lost the key, the switch is the culprit, and that is on the steering column itself, it is not necessary to remove the steering wheel for switch replacement, it would help to drop the column so you can get to it easier, later'z...........:D

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, I finally found it. It's a bit easier when it's daytime and you have a new one to see what it looks like. Replacing it did nothing at all though. I still have to crank it ghetto style. So it's not the ignition switch or solenoid, and I don't think there's a fuse for the starting circuit, but I checked every one anyway, including the high amp ones, and they're fine. I just don't get it. If I can't figure it out, the Torino is going to become my daily driver when I fix it.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
also be sure that the starter solenoid trigger wire on the fender mounted solenoid is making contact, mine had a total no start condition one time when i replaced the battery,

i had to take the trigger wire off the solenoid to move the fuse box, and when i put it back on and tried to start it had no starter action, but after messing around with it i found out that the connector would not make contact at a certain angle, so you may want to move it around a little when it does the no start,

if you don't know which wire i am talking about, it is the smallest wire on the solenoid and has a red or black 90 degree bend that goes on a post by itself, i hope i didn't confuse you, i wish i had a digital camera so i could take some pictures, hth.......later'z............:D

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't have a fender-mounted solenoid. The ignition wire and starter wire go straight to the one above the starter. And yes, I do know what a fender-mounted solenoid looks like. I did put one on the Torino today. There's a plug for the ignition wire just under the high amp fuse box. I hotwire the car by unplugging it and running a wire to the positive post on the battery. So obviously, it has to be something before that. If I had a wiring schematic for the starting circuit, especially through the ignition switch, I could isolate it further. I really need to get one of those service manuals on cd-rom.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts